commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
John Fairey, No2 Cdo.  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Trevor Mather
Forum Member

Just looking for some info on John Fairey for my uncle, Fred Mather of 4 Troop No. 2 Commando.
Fred is waiting for an operation on his eyes next month after which he'll be posting on here himself.
Any info would be appreciated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/02/2009 20:54:37

Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Trevor, sorry Fred is still having problems with his eyes and hope this will be fixed soon.

Here is a photo we came across in Ft. William this year when we were talking with Doug Webster's sons, Bill & Jim, and going through their photographs. In this one we have Bob, Doug & Johnny Fairey. Fred may or may not recall this event which Bob shared with Jim Webster a couple of years ago:

In June, 1942, we were practicing river crossing in a quarry near Ayr. During this exercise my equipment got snagged and dragged me under the dark water. Seeing my situation, which was drowning, Doug and John Fairey dived in and somehow got me onto the bank unconscious. When I came to they were busily pumping me out. I did buy them each a large whiskey afterwards which helped us stop the shivering.

So it is a name I'm not going to forget.

Give my best to Fred and take care.

Janet
[Thumb - scan0060 bob doug john.jpg]
 Filename scan0060 bob doug john.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 208 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  404 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Trevor and also Hi to Janet

First of all Janet great picture and story. Glad Bob had such gallant companions to save him.
Trevor I cannot assist you with regards to John, but I am interested to know whether your Uncle Fred is related to the H. Mather listed as taking part in the St Nazaire raid and in particular his role at St Nazaire. My father was in 5 troop and was on ML443 as part of a demolition squad. His demolition party was accompanied by No.4 troop whose role was to protect the demolition guys like my father. I know that there was a Sgt from 4 troop called Arthur Wardle I believe on board ML443. Just wondering if your Uncle was related in any way to the Mather listed and if so what ML was he on?
Ps. Hope Fred's eye op goes well

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/01/2009 17:50:13

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Hi Trevor, please pass on our regards to Fred and we hope his eye op goes well. I received your applications today so they will be actioned as soon as I am back.

We are looking forward to having Fred post on the site!

Kind regards to all

Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Trevor Mather
Forum Member

Hi Folks,
Thanks for that Janet,I'll pass the info on to Fred and get back to you, I have also finished scanning Fred's pics so will get a CD off to you very soon.
As regards Pete's question the Mather on the St Nazaire raid was no relation, but Fred and Ernie Mather were one of the sets of brothers in 2Cdo.
Fred and Ernie knew your Father well and I'm sure he'll be able to give you some info when we get him sorted out when he's had his op, he mentioned Arthur Wardle as well and have enclosed a picture of Arthur in Scotland I think, but will get the details from Fred. Also enclosed is a picture of 'Dick' Turpin around about the same time.
You may find the picture from the SOE base at Monopoli, Italy interesting, Fred is 2nd row extreme right, Dusty Miller same row extreme left, 9 from the left top row is KD Andrew and if anyone can ID any other's please let me know so I can update the photo.Please feel free to put the pics on the gallery.
Fred will no doubt get some more names when his eyesight is sorted!
Thanks for the info Geoff, looking forward to receiving the cards!

cheers for now,
Trevor
[Thumb - SOE Base Monopoli, Italy.jpg]
 Filename SOE Base Monopoli, Italy.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 307 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  438 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/01/2009 10:26:34

Trevor Mather
Forum Member

Hi again,
Here's the other 2 photo's, for some reason failed to attach to last post.

Cheers
[Thumb - Dick Turpin 2 Cdo.jpg]
 Filename Dick Turpin 2 Cdo.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 80 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  406 time(s)

Trevor Mather
Forum Member

and Arthur's picture
[Thumb - Arthur Wardle.jpg]
 Filename Arthur Wardle.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 31 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  387 time(s)

Dusty's son
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Trevor
Thanks so much for the Monopoli picture. I have downloaded it and sent copies to my brothers and sister . I would be very interested in any other pictures youy have of #2 Commando .

Lindsay
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Trevor,
I've just been studying the SOE Monopoli photo and, having compared it to the earlier photo that Janet posted, I'm fairly sure that Bob Bishop is front row, third from right (very light webbing belt).

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Trevor , I have done as you requested and posted all the pics in the No.2 Gallery on your behalf. I have also posted the picture that Janet placed here.

(posted here for the benefit of anyone who may have been thinking about placing the pics in the gallery)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/02/2009 23:26:17

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Trevor Mather
Forum Member

Just an update on the Arthur Wardle photo, this was taken at Eglington Terrace Ayr, at the temporary HQ.
While I'm on here, I have another picture from Fred, only one guy he can't remember the name of and he is at the extreme right of the picture.

Left to right-Sgt Welburn(Pod)-Affleck-Fred Mather-Ernie Mather-John Mavin-Unknown from Intelligence section

Another picture from Ayr of 4Troop, 2 Cdo, early spring 1941, Privates Edwards-Docker- Mason.

Cheers,
Trevor
[Thumb - 4Trp AYR early spring 1941.jpg]
 Filename 4Trp AYR early spring 1941.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 138 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  375 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 06/02/2009 11:52:27

Trevor Mather
Forum Member

Here's one more while I'm online!

Rear-Ken McAllister( TSM)-Sandy Seaton(RSM)- Pete Moreland TSM
Front- Keith Crippen RQMS-Jim BishopTSM

[Thumb - CSM McCallister  +.jpg]
 Filename CSM McCallister +.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 138 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  420 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 15/04/2011 00:01:28

Trevor Mather
Forum Member

For some reason the 2 files above failed to attach, will try again!
[Thumb - ayr -41.jpg]
 Filename ayr -41.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 128 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  401 time(s)

[Thumb - 4Trp AYR early spring 1941.jpg]
 Filename 4Trp AYR early spring 1941.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 138 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  404 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks for the posts Trevor...great to see my late Uncle - TSM Ken McAllister in one . Thats an impressive photo. I'll send a copy to his wife Sylvia. I'll also place your photos in the appropriate gallery here on the forum

[Email]
neal
Forum Member

Trevor Mather wrote:Just looking for some info on John Fairey for my uncle, Fred Mather of 4 Troop No. 2 Commando.
Fred is waiting for an operation on his eyes next month after which he'll be posting on here himself.
Any info would be appreciated.
Hi I know I am replying to this several years on. John fairey was my uncle unfortunately he died a couple of years ago aged 90. He never spoke about his wartime antics so it was a real treat for me to hear he helped save somebodys life.
I would love to find out more about his wartime efforts etc. I knew him as a very quiet gentle natured man who enjoyed life to the full.
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger