commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Road Junction 080809  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
DerrickParsons
Forum Member

41 Commando met at Road Junction 080809 when they came off Sword Beach. Does anyone know exactly where this is on a modern day map? We are going to the area next month and it would be great to be able to pinpoint it. It's on a St Aubyn map apparently.
Derrick Parsons
GUY
Forum Member

Derrick,
Latitude : 49° 17' 53'' N Longitude : 0° 18' 12' W

[Thumb - VU080809.png]
 Filename VU080809.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 870 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  269 time(s)

DerrickParsons
Forum Member

Thank you so much for this. Pinpoints it very nicely.
And now I'm going to be a bit cheeky and ask for more. I have a copy of the 41 Commando unit diary for the days around the landing and here are a number of other references that I'd like to track down. Any chance you could do these as well for me?
Derrick
GUY
Forum Member

Derrick,
Post the grid references and I will take a look.
Guy
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I use this handy website to convert British WW2 grid references:
http://www.echodelta.net/mbs/eng-translator.php

However, you do need to know the 'grid' covering the relevant geographical area which can be found here:
http://www.echodelta.net/mbs/eng-grids.php

In the case of your enquiry, you'll see it is 'French Lambert Zone 1', the grid is 'vU'

So using the website's "Coordinates Translator" (the first link in this post) you just:

1/ Select the grid or the geographical area concerned - using the dropdown box select 'French Lambert Zone 1'

2/ Enter the "Modified British System" coordinates to be decoded in the box 'vU080809'

3/ Press the 'Convert! button'

It will pin point it on a map for you and give you the Latitude and Longitude which you can put in Google Maps etc

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger