commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
RM Commando - Thomas Alexander Menin Cooke EX/1189  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
pahannah
Forum Member

Hello

New to this forum.

I wanted to share some details of T.A.M Cooke EX/1189. I have many photos, his passport , medals, medal slip and box, and release papers. Along with his Green Beret, belt, some sort of pocket(all named to him) as well has insignia that came with the group.

The information that came with his states.

Born on Isle of Wight 15th Jan 1919. Went to school in London.

Served with 1st Royal Marines , and completing his Commando training in October 1943 at Achnacarry with 42 RM Commando(3 Commando Brigade)

Apparently was on HMT Ranchi when they come under attack, and then were at Alexandria for repairs.

Eventually met the rest of 3rd Commando brigade at Kedgaon January 1944.

The rest is about 42 Commando training, relieving 1st Ox & Bucks. Landing on Akyab Island, and later assaulting Myebon peninsula and Kangaw and the battle of Jill 170.

He went to Hong Kong and then was released 27th Feb 1946. He died in 2001.

I would love to have any information about this marine, his unit, in fact anything as I cannot see him listed in your Roll of Honour. Happy to share the large amount of pictures if there are of use to the Archive. Some Pictures attached
[Thumb - IMG_8072[1].jpg]
 Filename IMG_8072[1].jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  264 time(s)

[Thumb - IMG_8076[1].jpg]
 Filename IMG_8076[1].jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 76 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  283 time(s)

[Thumb - IMG_8074[1].jpg]
 Filename IMG_8074[1].jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 142 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  257 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hello and thank you for your kind offer to share the information and photos. We already have, I believe, 12 photos in our 42RM Commando gallery from a previous owner of your collection who shared them with us.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/42/

You will see we have him listed as HQ Troop which is from the photo with troop notes extract on page 2 of the above link. His nickname was TAM. There is a Signals Section photo which is amongst your collection so he may well have been in the Signal Section of the HQ Troop. Could you advise me where you got his year of death from?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
pahannah
Forum Member

Hello Pete

Thanks for the information, its good to see he has been posted before. I have many photos so will look through and add any relevant ones. I received an A4 sheet of paper with a load of information and in it it states his date of death, so nothing formal.

Regards
Paul
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Paul (& Pete!)

I was the previous owner of the collection and compiled the information about his life and death for the sheet of A4 paper.

You may be interested to know that I kept Mne Cooke's diaries and am tweeting them here: https://twitter.com/TamsDiary

Best regards,

Julie

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

What a shame the grouping was split up

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
pahannah
Forum Member

Great to see his diary exists, I would like it if you decide one day to sell, or even print the pages for my records. It is a shame the group was split, but that happens a lot.

Message me if you would like to re-unite the group.

Cheers
Paul
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The diaries are actually much more relevant to his schooldays - items from which I also have and was intending to donate to his old school (if it still exists) or the local archives. The diaries from his war years have very little, if anything, written in them. I'm happy to scan the pages with entries for you if you'd like though?

One other thing I have and was advised not to include is a lock of his hair, taped to a piece of paper on which he's written, "This lock of hair was cut off my head, by me, this 8th day of June, 1935" and signed. If you'd like this, send me a private message with your address.

Julie

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
pahannah
Forum Member

Thanks Julie
Message sent.

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger