commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No6 Commando (WW2)  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Broonale
Forum Member

I am researching my grandad whom my father told me was in No6 commando upto 1945/6. I cannot confirm his parent regiment as i was told he was in the DLI. He is in a portrate photo wearing a Taby O'Shanta with loth badge VI. the headwear alone tels me he wasnt DLI. Anyway, I was given my grandads fighting knife which still doesnt confirm his commando connection. the only other photo i have is of himself and his brother. His shoulder flashing isnt clear and neither is his arm badge, although the shoulder does look like the letters No, and that is it. I cannot find grandad on any nominal rolls, but his portrate photo was taken in 1941. This cap badge doesnt turn up anywhere else. I also have the army number but again, this doesnt show up. So I'm hoping someone who has been doing research may shed a bit more light as to wether the cap badge may be enough to confirm No6 Commando.

Regards

Paul
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

If you could post the photos, that would be a great help.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Broonale,

Welcome to the CVA Website & Forum - we're here to help...

The cloth badge sounds like the early shoulder title, the Tam O' Shanter may be a General Service Cap - the standard Service Issue head-dress before the general issue of the beret - it was a bit like a Tam but without a bobble .
The beret was not adopted by the Army, as a whole, until 1943, although there were some exceptions...

But let us know his name and I can certainly have a look to see if he is on our Nominal Rolls....

Even if he isn't on the Nominal Rolls, then it doesn't mean he wasn't a commando in No.6 Cdo. and the good news is you can apply to the ONLY custodian for WWII service Records for a scan of his original, handwritten service records.
I can point you in the right direction for this - but PLEASE don't bother with Forces War Records or Ancestry or any other online genealogy sites...

Nick

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 22/01/2019 09:44:51

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

There is an image here of an early member of 6 Commando (Herbert Thompson) wearing the IV cap badge on a TOS:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/6/Bert+Thompson+No+6+Cdo/Bert+Thompson+3.jpg.html

It would interesting to see your images to see what can be concluded from them. If they are original photographs it's amazing how much detail comes out if they're scanned at a high resolution.
A name, DoB and service number would be helpful
Good luck
Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Broonale
Forum Member

Hello mate, thanks for the reply to my questions. My grandad's details are as follows:

Philip Watson
Army No: 4464178 DLI
Private

His photo is attached. Apparently he joined No6 Commando 1940-41 and remained until the end of the war. That's all the info i have I'm afraid. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Some of my dads family are still alive and none knew what grandad actually did. His medals medals have disappeared so i don't even know what he had. Again, thank you very much in adavnce.

regards

Paul

[Thumb - IMG_20190122_075307.jpg]
 Filename IMG_20190122_075307.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 66 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  468 time(s)

Regards

Paul
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

As always Paul the best advise is to send for his service records, see detailed instructions kindly provided from Nick here:
http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/6297.page;jsessionid=32750731A586C44763746FA58E590F70#top

I can't make much out from the small photo provided I'm afraid!

I should warn you it can take 2 months to receive records at the moment

Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Broonale
Forum Member

sorry mate, i reduced the photo size
[Thumb - IMG_20190122_075307.jpg]
 Filename IMG_20190122_075307.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 95 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  470 time(s)

Regards

Paul
GUY
Forum Member

He served with 4 Troop, 6 Commando

6 Commando July 1943 after their return from North Africa.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/6/No+6+Cdo+July+1943++-+doreen+hopwood+with+names+copy.jpg.html

[Thumb - WATSON.png]
 Filename WATSON.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 131 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  450 time(s)

Broonale
Forum Member

Thank you very much for this. i'll also write off and get his military records. absolute great help. when i get the records i will post what i can for this sights info.

Regards

Paul
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Broonale,

Yep that's a nice early photo of your granddad in a TOS with a No.6 Cdo cap badge.

When the Commandos were first formed they all sought to have their own identity. Each Commando had it's own shoulder titles, formation patches and cap badges - they were even allocated their own colours...
No.5 already had Gold on Green (see my avatar) but the others were allocated:

No.1...............................Crimson,
No.2...............................Black,
No.3...............................Navy Blue
No.4...............................Powder Blue
No.6...............................White
No.9.............................. a Tartan
No.10.............................Brown
No.12.............................Saffron
Cdo Depot.......................Locheil Tartan ( with permission of Cameron of Lochiel)
Special Boat Section.........Grey
Brigade HQ......................Buff

Of course this did not go down too well with the General Staff, who weren't even in favour of The Commandos anyway, and they pressed for more uniformity.
After a lot of discussion which even involved the King the scarlet on blue shoulder titles were decided on - especially as they matched the Combined Ops patches.
Later, as more and more units within all the branches of HM Forces wore the Combined Ops patch, the Commandos pressed for a distinguishing patch - thus was born the Commando Qual. badge.

The only Commando Unit that defied the orders of the War Office was No.2 Cdo who kept their own cap badge throughout.

I have added your grandfather to No.6 Cdo Nominal Roll and uploaded his photo into the No.6 Album in the Gallery...

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/6/?g2_page=2

Nick
[Thumb - 6 Commando.jpg]
 Filename 6 Commando.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 13 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  450 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 22/01/2019 19:37:37

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Broonale
Forum Member

Thank you very much Nick. I never met grandad, but i hope i have done him proud by doing this. Seems now i am going to be able to give whats left of his family something of his life which he never told them about. Again, thank you.

Regards

Paul
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Paul,

When you get his records back they'll give you a lot of details from his enlistment, training, posting, conversion to commando, promotions (and demotions), disciplinaries!, embarkations to overseas theatres, disembarkations, woundings, hospitalisations, medal entitlement etc. In other words, a good foundation to start your research - as I said earlier, keep well clear of Forces War Records etc!

I suspect you're too far North for a day trip to the National Archives at Kew, but if you get a chance there and read the No.6's official War Diaries...

Anyway, you can read up on No.6 Cdo - they were part of 1 Special Service Brigade ( later renamed 1 Commando Brigade).

The photo Guy has posted shows him with a DLI cap badge and his service number 4464178 is definately in the series allocated to DLI - [4435001 --- 4523000 Durham Light Infantry]

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Broonale
Forum Member

Nick, valuable information. You'd be right about the distance, but i will submit an application tomorrow for all the info. Like i said, i will give you any info i find that might be of use. Thanks again.

Regards

Paul
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Paul,

Any questions just ask, marra - we're here to help...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger