commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
royal navy airbourne commandos ww2  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
ann
Forum Member

hi im trying to find info on my dad robert norman wilding came from holbeach lincolnshire can any one help
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ann,
Do you have any other information ie which Commando he was in? What was his original Regiment? Any information and photos may help jog someones memory.
Good luck,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
ann
Forum Member

hi i have a photo of my dad in uniform one of the badges on his arm is 2 wings with a parachute in the middle of them abouve that it says R.N COMMANDOS undr the wings it says airborn on top of the parachute there our 2 S and under is the number 13 any help ann
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hiya
I have a book called The Beachhead Commandos by A. Cecil Hampshire which came out in 1983.Its a history of the RN Commandos so you must try and get it Theres some good book search sites on the net. Try Abebooks, Anybooks or even Amazon I see the RN Commandos were at the invasion of Madagascar in 1942. My dad was there with No5 Commando. The book has some good photos including a group pic of old veterans at the first reunion of the RN Commando Association
best wishes StephenD

SE Donnison
[MSN]
ann
Forum Member

many thanks will i be able to get the book from the library ann
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

On Amazon.co .uk theres the book i told you about for sale from £14.25 Also i ve noticed theres a new book i didnt know about called Beachhead Assault-- The Story Of The RN Commandos in WW2 by David Lee. Hardback is £12.53 Paperback is £9.23 and Used ones from £7. They look well worth getting . I should think the library will get you one too but id buy it to show yr family

SE Donnison
[MSN]
ann
Forum Member

many thanks my dad as a number 13 under is commando badge would that be is unit number ann
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Glancing throught the Beachhead Commandos book I see the RN commandos units had a letter,, ie M Commando , C Commando, J Commando . Do you know what letter Commando you dad was?

SE Donnison
[MSN]
ann
Forum Member

no sorry i konow nothing abount it as my dad never talked abount it all i know is he worked with the U.S.A and was awarded a medal from them one of the highist they gave out and i was told that my is sister ann
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thats a shame you dont know more.He mustve had a very interesting war. Alot of the old soldiers never seem to want to talk about their experiences. My dad was very proud and would talk about it but I never knew he had killed someone untill I met his old captain who told me dad had saved his life from a sniper!
Try and dig out more info. Theres places you can write to

SE Donnison
[MSN]
ann
Forum Member

many thanks for your help ann
ann
Forum Member

hi its me again just got my dads service records but all they tell me is what ships he was on,it says unforunately they are unable to loacte any records for him from 1/1/42 till the 11/2/43 they know he was at hms quebec and hms dinosaur during this period but not what he was doing or why he was awarded the C.G.M and the D.S.M where can i go now help please ann
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ann,
Have you tried the RN Commando Assoc?

http://www.btinternet.com/~keith.oakley/rncommando/rnchome.htm

Might be worth a try?
Good Luck,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
ann
Forum Member

thanks will give it a go ann
jackie mcginnis-schulze
Forum Member

dear ann your inquirey is interesting. my uncle was one of those us volunteer commandos.you've had a lot if suggestions. of i've discovered many did not know the americans volunteered for the commandos and were placed by in their old us 34th inf. after operation tourch. i will be watchin why he earned the dsm you must be very proud of him. they don't hand those out with the mess kits.
sincerely jackie mcginnis-schulze williamsport pa usa

Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger