commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
HMS Dorlin  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
jlp1803
Forum Member

Hi,
My father was based up at near Fort William At HMS Dorlin 1942 ish,
He was wounded in 1942 whilst getting of a Fast motor launch like a MTB with Rolls roce merlin engines on recon mission in Norway, dragged back on boat and ended up losing part of foot in Glasgow hospital, and was a war pensioner.
This is all I know but have his service papers and none of this information is shown, only that he was based at Portsmouth. I have looked on various sites but even using his RN service number Frank Henry Pargeter DOB 02.05.1912(NR KBNZ 104.1)cannot find any thing.
I wondered if you may be able to shed some light on the matter.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi jlp1803,

Just to help those who aren't aware about HMS Dorlin...

In June 1941 the Commando Special Canoe Troop moved from Arran to the Special Training Centre (STC) Boat Station at Dorlin, Shielbridge, for training.

In February 1942 the Commando Basic Training Centre (CBTC) was established at Achnacarry - the former holding wing of STC Lochailort.

In April 1942 the RM Commando was training at Dorlin, for the Dieppe raid, but stayed offshore and never landed.

The Dorlin establishment was detached from STC Lochailort on 20/8/1942 and transferred to the Royal Navy as HMS Dorlin, No 3 Combined (Operations) Training Centre (CTC).
HMS Dorlin was supported by accommodation and stores at Shielbridge, Salen, Glenborrodale, Glencripesdale and Roshven. Its function was to train train infantry in sea-borne assault operations and in personal fitness and weapon training, but not to the extreme level practised at Achnacarry.

You say you have your father's Service Record - can you tell me if you obtained them from The RN Disclosure Cell, Whale Island in Portsmouth?

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger