commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Lieutenant RJ Burtinshaw, No5 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
charlesa
Forum Member

Good afternoon all, I was wondering if anyone might have information on Lieutenant RJ Burtinshaw. He was killed during the St Nazaire raid and is buried at La Baule. My mother was his girlfriend at the time that he died. She herself died recently and left me two enamel talcum powder boxes that he had given her shortly before he was killed.
Many thanks
Charles

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/08/2009 10:27:03

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Lieutenant Robert Burtinshaw, of the Cheshire Regiment and No.5 Commando was a good friend of Stuart Chant-Sempill OBE MC who refers to him in his book St. Nazaire Commando. As you say sadly he was one of many casualties at St Nazaire.
He is also shown on the following roll of honour site

http://www.specialforcesroh.com/browse.php?mode=viewiroll&rollid=681

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 10/12/2008 16:34:53

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Im i right in saying theres a german taken photo of his body in one of the books on the raid?

SE Donnison
[MSN]
petitjean56
Forum Member

Hello

Exact, a photo exist in several books on the raid, photo show the body Lt Burtinshaw to foot of tower Flack near Penhoet basin area.

Regards

Bernard
charlesa
Forum Member

Thank you gents, I will start searching. In the meantime very grateful if someone can narrow it down . I thought I had read all the books on the raid but I don't recall seeing this photo.
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi Charles
im mistaken in the photo I thought it was .In Jon Cooksey's book on St Nazaire its actually believed to be Robert Beveridge.page103 There is a photo on page 85 of some of Lt Burtinshaw's No5 men dead Maybe he is among them

SE Donnison
[MSN]
petitjean56
Forum Member

Hello Charles

In Jon Cooksey book page 85, on the left the body Lt Robert Burtinshaw, I had confirmation by Lt John Roderick and by the Sgt Franck Carr. On the same picture, on the right certainely the body of Cpl George Stock.
There is the same picture in the magazine After the Battle n°59 page 12

Regards

Bernard

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger