commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Theft of items from Commando Garden of Remembrance  XML
Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

In addition to the despicable theft of the collection money from the Commando memorial collection box just prior to Remembrance weekend, it was also brought to our attention that a small number of memorial stones have also gone missing from the Garden of Remembrance. We only know of two that could not be found over the Remembrance weekend, however we cannot, and may never be able to quantify exactly how many have been taken, or why!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2008/12/02/sick-thieves-pinch-memorial-stones-from-commando-statue-86908-20939935/

I believe that this may instigate a review of how items are added to the Garden and I will be suggesting that an alternative option to just leaving a piece loosely placed on the ground would be to offer a paver service similiar to that at the CVA Commando memorial.

On a brighter note, on hearing of the collection money theft, the children of the Spean Bridge School have penned poems which they have compiled into a book which they are selling in the local shops to help replace the money stolen. Pupils of Primaries 6 and 7 have done this as part of a project by head teacher Kate MacGillivray and teacher Betty MacLachlan. Only 80 copies were printed, however any members wishing to purchase a copy or send thanks to the children please contact the school direct. Spean Bridge School, Spean Bridge, Invernesshire, PH34 4EU.

One of the poems by Shane of class P7:

We shall never forget these people who fought for our country
These people probably did have children and wives
But they battled through thick and thin
and also they could come back with one eye, one ear
And maybe they DIDN'T come back
We shall never forget these people who fought for our country
Right this second there will be crying and DYING
Young children will be asking 'Why does war happen?'
Why can't they see their Daddy?
We could be dead without these people, we should be grateful.
Don't forget!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/12/2008 15:30:34

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
keith hurst
Forum Member
[Avatar]

people who stoop to actions like this are no better than grave robbers

keith
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I know that John M and Norris were speaking to some of the local folk who wanted to assure everyone that they too were disgusted by the actions of the thieves.

I would, in turn, like to reassure the locals, that their hospitality over the weekend was outstanding and the local turnout for both of the Remembrance Services was fantastic and proved how loyal and proud they are of the Commandos and the history attached to the area.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Geoff

I was in Fort William and at the Memorial today all the locals are at a loss of how people can stoop so low. There is also a front page article in the Press and Journal today.

The memorial garden today is covered in snow so I could not see how many plaques where there.

Would you want me to make a list of memorial plaques that are in the garden so we know what is there? It's only a short journey for me but I will have to wait until the snow shifts.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Bill, that would be very much appreciated. I had a guy on the phone just today who's lad was killed 2 years ago in Afghan. He had seen the story in the local papers and was obviously concerned about the plaque that his family had laid last year. Luckily on this occasion I knew that their plaque was there because I recalled seeing it when we cleaned the memorial on the Saturday morning. I'm bound to get more calls as the word gets around though.

I'm sure that the locals are very aware of how we all feel and that their feelings and support are as always appreciated. Unfortunately I don't think many of them visit this website. They would however get the message from the school if we sent our thanks for the heartwarming efforts that the kids are doing with their poems.

Wrap up well Bill,

regards

Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Geoff

When the snow goes I will make a record of plaques and post it. I will get a message to the school through my local contacts.

Did anyone have alook round to see if the plaques were outside the memorial grounds?

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

If anyone wants to email Spean Bridge School the email is as follows - [email protected]

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

My sorrow goes out to the Association. Sadly this story is becoming common place all over the UK. Memorials are being targeted for scrap brass/bronze.

I really do think that this something that should be brought up about this in the House of Lords and harsher penalties for people who steal from war memorials be put into place. There are plenty of war graves in the UK that need a good clean, I`d put these people to good use!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 05/12/2008 15:11:18

Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I agree .i can think of some good harsh punishment. Four plaques from the Naval Memorial to the Dead on Plymouth Hoe were stolen the other month ,I was soo mad as my grandfathers name is on it! The swine

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Made a list of plaques today as there was only ice at the memorial. Will post it when I get it typed out.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have now posted a new topic "List of Memorial Plaques at Spean Bridge December 2008."

Hope this helps.

Anyone who is missing a Plaque please PM me.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

I have just received correspondence from the Associate Head Teacher of Spean Bridge Primary School, Mrs K MacGillivray, who has informed me that the pupils of P6/P7 have raised £346.20 in response to the collection money being stolen. Mrs MacGillivray has enclosed a cheque for this amount as a donation to the CVA, which will be put aside until we decide the most appropriate use for it. Also enclosed is the book of poems that the pupils made and a touching letter from one of the pupils, which I have to admit brought a tear to my eyes.

This certainly does restore faith and proves that good-will far outshines any evil deeds previously done. It also reiterates that the youth of today are not nearly what the media seems to portray on a daily basis, especially those pupils of P6/P7 involved, who are an absolute credit to their school and the town of Spean Bridge.

I shall include the letter enclosed in our next edition of Dispatches.

I have responded to Mrs MacGillivray, however I would sincerely request that as many members as possible write to thank the teachers and children for their humbling response.

Spean Bridge Primary School, Spean Bridge, PH34 4EU

Regards
[Thumb - Pupils of Year P6 P7 Spean Bridge Primary School.jpg]
 Filename Pupils of Year P6 P7 Spean Bridge Primary School.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1889 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1266 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/12/2008 12:58:30

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
ViA
Forum Member

Dear Sir
Your poem speaks loud and clear.
I understand yet my children and their friends are busy playing Xbox.
I do believe that history repeats.
This forum could help to advise on how to to deal with our future.(world War)
Your past is never forgotten
Tomorrow is not ours to know, what will be will be.(Doris Day)
Although experience cannot be beaten.
Cheers from
1 less stupid human who doesnt want to learn all the mistakes again.
Baby dont touch that it is hot!
OK Dada
Baby says
OWE its HOT

Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger