commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Major John Aubrey Smith - 40/42 RM Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Jskea
Forum Member

Hello,

I am new to the forum and am researching a former RM Commando named John Aubrey Smith. He served from 1943-73 - here are the following details I've found so far:

Lt, 40 RM Commando - Italy (MID 1944)
Capt, 42 Commando - Malaya (MID 1952) and Suez (presumably as OC Charlie Troop 42 Cdo)
Capt, 42 Commando - Borneo and Malay Peninsula
Maj, 3 Cdo Brigade HQ - 1966-68
Maj, Director Naval Recruiting - 1969-73

I'd be very interested if anyone has previously served with Major Smith or can provide any further details, anecdotes, or photographs of this long-serving RM Commando officer. The Major passed away in 1996 so I believe I may be able to obtain his service record. Any further info is appreciated, thank you.

Jeff
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jeff

The only thing I can add, which you may already have, is that he passed away on the 11th November 1996 aged 72. It was announced in the Navy News edition published December 1996.

Here is a page from the Navy Lists of Royal Marine Forces in 1943 with his name on

http://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/93402114?mode=transcription

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/03/2018 19:39:47

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Also found a newspaper article with a photo. Not great quality.

Dundee Courier - Monday 08 February 1954
Image © D.C.Thomson & Co. Ltd. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.
[Thumb - Aubrey article.JPG]
 Filename Aubrey article.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Image © D.C.Thomson & Co. Ltd. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.
 Filesize 23 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  315 time(s)

[Thumb - John Aubrey Smith and others.JPG]
 Filename John Aubrey Smith and others.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Image © D.C.Thomson & Co. Ltd. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.
 Filesize 66 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  332 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Transcripts from the above which shows he was training commander at the Commando School RM at Bickleigh. Lt. Col. Robert D. Houghton was the Commanding Officer.

These men have volunteered from units throughout Britain for a six-week course at Commando School, Bickleigh, Devon, and on conclusion are generally posted to the Marine Commando Brigade.

I left with the training commander, Captain J. Aubrey Smith, from the base camp, seven miles from Aviemore, on the shores of Loch Morlich, as the fingers of dawn unfolded over the horizon.

[Email]
Jskea
Forum Member

Hello Pete

Thank you very much for the additional info! The Navy Lists have been very helpful in detailing Maj Smith's career so far, the newspaper article is excellent I have not seen before, thanks again for taking the time to assist.

Jeff

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger