commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Grandfathers Service Record help  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
pswilld
Forum Member

I am hoping someone can help me. I have my grandfathers Service record, but as my grandfather passed away before I could find out what unit he was with I am hoping someone may be able to help. He did tell a family member he was with the RM commando's but did not indicate which unit. I did notice in the top left corner there is a hand written 47. Any help is appreciated.
Thank you

Paul
 Filename Certificate of Service_Redacted.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description Service Record Pg 1
 Filesize 391 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  337 time(s)

Filename Locations.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description Service Record Pg 2
 Filesize 416 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  319 time(s)

Paul Willder
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Google 47 Commando. There is a dedicated website.

I have contacts in 47 RMC if you do not get through.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

http://www.commandoveterans.org/47RMCommando

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Paul

On the second sheet with his postings most of these seem to be RNAS (Royal Naval Air Stations) in the UK. These were used by the Fleet Air Arm and sometimes linked to RAF bases.

Daedalus - Fleet Air Arm HQ at Lee on Solent
Merlin - RNAS at Donibristle
Landrail at Argyll and later renamed RNAS Machrihanish
Kestrel - RNAS Worthy Down
Ringtail - RNAS Burscough
Sanderling - RNAS Abbotsinch
Dipper - RNAS Henstridge in Dorset
Gannet - RNAS Eglinton Londonderry

Seafire - might be referring to the plane (squadron) Supermarine Seafire which was the naval version of the Spitfire. Kings College London have this document about the Fleet Airm Arm and it contains a list pf abbreviations used. This might help with the letters shown on the record which I thing on a previous forum message had been thought to be SSV. Could it be SSU or Squadron Servicing Unit.

https://kclpure.kcl.ac.uk/portal/files/2935516/498772.pdf

The Fleet Air Arm have an association with some of the detail that the above has come from. They may be able to give you further advice.

http://www.fleetairarmoa.org/fleet-air-arm-naval-air-stations

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/03/2018 18:35:28

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger