commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Ronald Peter Udy 4 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
cadnam69
Forum Member

Trying to help my brother in-law find out anything about his dads (Ronald Peter Udy) service during the war , the name RP Udy is mentioned in the nominal roll on this website but not sure if this is him, it's the only possible lead I have been able to find, he would have volunteered probably during 1942. He passed away in 1976 without mentioning much at all about the war. Any help would be much appreciated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/12/2017 23:41:51

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi cadnam,
Welcome to the CVA Website and Forums.
I think it's a fair bet that the R.P. Udy that we have listed in the No.4 Cdo Nominal Roll is indeed your brother-in-law's dad, Ronald Peter Udy. However, just to confirm it, can you tell me where Ronald Udy lived prior to his death?

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
cadnam69
Forum Member

Hi Nick,

Many thanks for trying to help
He was born and died in Portsmouth, all his family including his wife still live here.
He was born 1925 officially but it's thought he said it was 1924 when he enlisted as he was too young at the time to join up.
If you are able to confirm he was in 4 commando that would be a fantastic start to helping my brother in-law trace his dads war history
Kind regards
Chris
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Chris,

We found R.P. Udy in the Commando Association Newsletter's supplement - 'Lost Legion,' dated September 1977. The Commando Association 'Stood Down' in 2005 but the Commando Veterans Association was formed, shortly after, by Commando Veterans who still wanted an association.

According to the CA's 'Lost Legion,' the last known address of R.P.Udy, No.4 Commando was - Portsmouth...

I'm pleased to report that I have now amended the entry in the No.4 Cdo Nominal Roll to show his full name. Thank you.

As an association we do not hold Service Records of individual WWII Veterans, however, Ronald family can apply to the MoD - the only custodian of WWII Service records - for a scan of his full, original, handwritten service records! The MoD charge a one off fee of £30 - unless Ronald's widow is still alive and then the fee is waived - and they'd need the consent (signature) of the next of kin and a copy of the death certificate.
The service records will show enlistment, regiment, training, conversion to commando, postings, embarkation overseas and theatre of operations, promotions (and demotions) wounds, hospitalisations, medal entitlement and demob...

Please tell your brother-in-law NOT to subscribe to ANY online genealogy search websites such as Forces War Records etc - they do NOT hold WWII service records and it will cost good money to find that out...

The two application forms for the MoD are here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545054/request_service_details_NOK_pt1_v6.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545060/request_for_service_details_army_application_part2_1_.pdf

Both need filling in - any queries and I'm here to help!

Are there any photos of Ronald Udy? Ideally of that era and in uniform but any that we can put into the No.4 Cdo Album in our unique Gallery would be welcome and I'd be honoured to upload them for the family.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 31/12/2017 16:58:33

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Welcome Chris.

Best wishes

Bill Harvey whose father was in No 4.

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

How exciting!

Welcome, Chris, from another No.4 Commando Bairn.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

No.4 Army Commando

A Short History I compiled in 2009...

Bill Harvey

Filename Short History of No.4 Cdo.odt [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 28 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  521 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/01/2018 16:37:30

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Here is a transcript of the War Diaries for No.4 Commando - May - Sep'44

Bill Harvey
 Filename War Diaries - No.4 Commando - May-Sep 44.odt [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 41 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  518 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 02/01/2018 17:00:17

Bill Harvey
cadnam69
Forum Member

Hi Nick,

Many thanks for the info. they will be looking at getting the service record for their dad
My brother in-law has been talking to some of the family and his dad was actually in No. 4 Commando Heavy Weapons Troop.
He looked at the photo on your website of the heavy weapons troop from Jill Burgess and he is actually in the photo, he's front row seated on the floor, far right hand side with his legs crossed.

Thank you once again for your help

Kind regards
Chris
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for getting back to us - I've now added Ronald's name to the photo.
If you need any help with the deciphering Army jargon and acronyms in the service records please let us know - we would appreciate it if you could let us know Ronald's service number & parent regiment when you get his service records...

We're here to help!

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger