commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
COMMANDO MUSEUM SPEAN BRIDGE HOTEL  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Friends

Commando Museum Spean Bridge Hotel

You will find if you visit a work in progress to do up the Commando room. We hope to finish this over the winter and give the room a facelift and John has sourced some new display cabinets which are empty just now. John Whyte and I are heading this work and will be recruiting local supporters to help.

Best wishes.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

Well done chaps. If I lived closer I would be more than willing to lend a hand.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Peter. We should be able to get a few together from the locallity and our families.

Bill

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/10/2017 09:46:23

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Have started work on the Commando room. John Whyte, Willie Hervo and myself (all associate members of CVA) hope to have refreshed the Commando room before the Armistice weekend.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Well done guys.

My best regards to you all.

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I was talking to Beth the manager of the Spean Bridge Hotel today thanking her for all she has done for us. The Commando room is now under the administration of the CVA and John Whyte, Willie Hervo and myself are giving it a facelift. John and I have taken pictures of all the the memorabilia in the hotel. The Hotel now only receive items sent or enquiries and let us know about them. The Hotel should not be contacted about any issue to do with the Commando Museum as that now has been passed to us as Associate Members of the CVA. Please contact me about any issues you have but please remember we are part time volunteers.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Well done Bill, John and Willie.

It is pleasing to know that such a valuable collection is under your safe administration.

It is a fine tribute to all those fine men and women who have entrusted their memories and memorabilia to the collection.

A valuable resource now in safe hands.
Thanks and regards

JohnM

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks JohnM

Bill

Bill Harvey
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

This is great news, I was never comfortable that it was being properly cared for. There are some incredible exhibits in there, some very scarce (and therefore valuable) which were never given the prominence they deserve. Sadly there are also some displays featuring reproduction/fake insignia, which is fine due to the scarcity, but it would be nice if they were labelled as such, if originals cant be sourced.
It would be great if a inventory could be published with the provenance of the items, when I've enquired previously, they didn't seem to have one or any idea what was in the collection at all.
Well done fellow associate members!
Regards
Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Paul

We would probably need your advice on the fake insignia.

We have a photographic list on all the things there but our main aim is to get it looking good and well displayed in the room we have.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bill

More than happy to advise, I've got various photos form visits over the years, I'll try and dig them out and post them

Regards
Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Paul.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
mike beckett
Forum Member

Hi Bill great to hear this news
Totally agree with Paul and happy to assist in any way practicable to verify insignia and log it. Paul and I live close to each other and regularly meet up. I was pleased when he told me about this today ... do not hesitate to contact me too, if you think I can help.
An inventory is imperative to maintain security of items and safeguard them for the future. I am sure we have all heard nasty stories of items 'disappearing' from museums. I believe that was the case when the IWM display took place many years ago. Also - I agree with Paul there are reproductions there, and while they act as an indicator it can be misleading not to note they are merely 'representative'. Most people would not notice, but CVA may agree that custodianship brings responsibilities, and may facilitate improvements if we pool our knowledge and help as we can.
All the best
Mike

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/04/2018 17:02:09

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Mike

Paul and you will be a great add to thew team John, Willie and self.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
mike beckett
Forum Member

Bill - Great to be part of the team - I know Paul and myself are a distance away but we will provide any assistance we can. You have my email address and must feel free to keep in touch as best you see fit.
All the best for now
Mike

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger