commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
George Alfred Hanstock No 2 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
jeebus05
Forum Member

G'day, im after any info you can give me on my Grandad, he told me some amazing stories when i was young and i was and still am very proud of him, id like the info to forward to my kids and Grandkids, regards Chris
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Chris

I have a note of a Pte. G. Hanstock serving in No 2 Commando. Can you confirm any family connection to to Mexborough in Yorkshire and do you have a photo of your Grandfather?

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
jeebus05
Forum Member

G'day Pete,
Thanks for your prompt reply, thats right my Grandad did live in Mexborough, he moved his family to Australia in 1970 and occasionally visited UK, I'm working away at the moment but i have this one pic of my Grandad with two other soldiers, i"m heading home (Perth) tonight so i can have a look through his history, hope you like the pic, regards Chris
jeebus05
Forum Member

My Grandad is in the centre, sorry i don't know other soldiers, regards Chris Peachey
[Thumb - 20170629_115224.jpg]
 Filename 20170629_115224.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Pte G Hanstock
 Filesize 349 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  261 time(s)

Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

So very interesting and great photo!

I'd be interested in hearing those stories as my dad was in No.4 but volunteered to fight with No.2 at Salerno and Sicily. It's amazing how even one snippet of information can help others in their research.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Chris

The Commando on the right as you look at the photo is Doug Webster who ended the war as a Sergeant. He served in 4 troop and 1 troop of No 2 Commando.

We have a good panorama image of 2 Commando in 1945 which if clicked on enlarges to be able to identify people easily. Not everyone from 2 Commando is in there, but worth looking at to see if you can spot your grandfather. Also look through the album maked 4 troop but bear in mind they were moved sometimes to other troops. Here is the link to the panorama

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/2+cdo+panorama/2__Commando+panorama.jpg.html

I will post your photo into our gallery in due course.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/06/2017 11:28:42

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Coincidentally Chris, noting your last name, also in No 2 Commando 4 troop, was a Sgt Frederick Peachey who was awarded two gallantry medals in the war !

http://www.commandoveterans.org/Peachey2Commando

[Email]
jim webster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thank you for posting the photo Chris, I can confirm that Janet is correct in saying that my dad is the soldier on the right as you look at the photo, sadly i cannot elaborate anymore than that as i have never seen this picture before.

jim

jim webster proud son of Sgt Doug Webster 2 commando 4 troop.
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Now that you have confirmed that Chris, on the note I have it shows his rank as Private and that his army service number was 5781568, which was in the batch of numbers allocated to the Royal Norfolk Regiment. This will be handy if you ever decide to apply for a copy of his army service record.

[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

Chris,
The photograph of your grandfather looks like it was taken in Alameda Botanic Gardens, Gibraltar. The camp was below the gardens, the car park for the cable car now occupies the site.
Guy
[Thumb - Alameda Gardens.png]
 Filename Alameda Gardens.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 693 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  268 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/06/2017 22:23:06

jeebus05
Forum Member

G'day Everyone, thankyou so much for the info so far, its been great, ive looked through my Grandads paperwork photos and newspaper clippings and will put them on as soon as possible, when i apply for his service record will it show everything that happened to him during all his service or just length of service etc? Regards Chris
jeebus05
Forum Member

This pic is glued inside the Old Comrades Association of The Army Commandos
[Thumb - DSC_0003.JPG]
 Filename DSC_0003.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Pte G Hanstock
 Filesize 390 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  266 time(s)

jeebus05
Forum Member

This picture sits proudly in the lounge.
[Thumb - 20170701_205937.jpg]
 Filename 20170701_205937.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 373 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  270 time(s)

Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Marvellous!

I've just seen the date on the newsletter - that's the day after my 9th birthday ... about the time dad went up to Fort William for the November service. He'd previously been on the Lost Legions list but had been to Flushing a few times.

Please have a look and see if he's mentioned anywhere, or if you have photos from any Fort William/Spean Bridge events. Dad's name was George Francis Harris - I'd love to find information from that weekend. Not sure of the year but that would be close.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Images now in the 2 Commando gallery currently on page 5. Here is a direct link to that page:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/?g2_page=5

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger