commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando No 3, 6 Troop? Joe Vernon  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Suze,

First of all, No. 13 ITC (Infantry Training Centre) was at Maidstone, Kent.

I believe that was the training depot for The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey).

If this was the case, then HQ would have been The Regimental HQ in Stoughton Barracks in Guildford, Surrey, the depot of the Queen's Royal (West Surrey) Regiment. The barracks were also used as a reception and training centre for infantry recruits during the Second World War.

However, looking at the cap badge on the photo you uploaded, it looks like that of the Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire Regiment!

Why the move to South Staffs? Not sure - but the dates of the moves may be significant...

Volunteers for the commandos travelled by train to Spean Bridge where they de-bussed onto the rails (not the platform) and then would speed march the 7 miles to Achnacarry - the Commando Basic Training Centre (CBTC).
Following Commando training at Achnacarry the commando would be presented with his coveted green beret and would have been posted to HOC Wrexham to further hone his skills and fitness learned at CBTC and wait to be posted to a Commando Unit as a replacement/reinforcement.
From the information we have on him, we know he was posted to No.3 Commando.
There is no readily available information which will give us the troop he was in - this is because it was fairly common for commandos to move between troops within the Commando Unit.
This was especially true if the commando was promoted - it was considered that a newly promoted junior non-commissioned officer might find it awkward to give orders to his subordinates when they were his best buddies...

If you are lucky, you may happen upon a photo or document which may have him listed as being in a particular troop but there is no guarantee of that.

Hope this helps a little...

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/09/2016 23:12:26

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

SuzeV123, regarding your photos, are there any stamps, or writing on the back of them, that might give further clues ?
Have you asked other family members if they have any family stories about the photos ?

Do you have any more WW2 era photos you can share with us ?

Thanks very much for sharing with everybody.

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have had it confirmed that the cap badge is the Beds & Herts Regt.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello to all.

Went few days ago in Hermanville sur mer cemetery and saw Joe VERNON's headstone, with the wooden cross with his photo on.
And was surprise to see, than you're looking information about him.

Will see in different photos I have if I could recognise him.

For information on D.Day 3 cdo, embarked on LCI(s) 284-512, 285-509, 286-535, 287-538, 288-501

6 Troop was in LCI 285-509. with men of 10 IA and 6th airborne division.

The LCI 509 was hit at sea by mortar shells. 20 men were killed. 2 wounded.

Best wishes

Stéphane

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger