commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
New Obituaries Section added with thousands of names  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks Mark

As mentioned early do not worry about the awards as these are still being updated. Places of death will not be listed even if on original.

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Lindsay

I have now added your father's name to the list. I feel compelled to offer you the wonderful opportunity of volunteering to check one of the last two remaining sections that need checking. A-C perhaps ?

If you can, all I want is that you look at the long list that we have had on the site for a long time and make sure that the details of all those on there with surnames beginning A-C, are now listed correctly on the new A-C section.

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

Pete,
Some additions for A-C, mostly middle names and two possible duplications.

John James William ARMSTRONG

Richard George BARBER appears to be duplicated

George Norton BARNES

Edward Lawrence BATTLEY

Paul Henry BECKETT

John Henry BENNETT

Kenneth Raymond BENNETT

Henry Wallace BERNINI

Arthur John BETTY

Dennis John BIRCH

Stanley Alfred BIRCH

Norman L BRADLEY

William Henry BRIAN

Eric Bates BRIGGS

Edward A J (John) BRIGHT

James Frank BURDEN

Julien Henri BUREL

John Joseph CARNEY

Stuart Whitemore CHANT-SEMPILL

Robert Henry CHARLES

John Edward COATES appears to be duplicated

Michael Vincent COLLINS

George H COTTAM

Charles Frederick COX

^Pete R. All the above have been dealt with. I'm pleased to say, as before, that Graham's list did include all the missing middle names, and these have now been added. The reason they and others were not included was purely a format issue. I have all the details and more that Graham has sent, and they will be added in due course onto the site

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/01/2016 21:38:53

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Eileen has now sent me her details and all have now been added.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

That's just S-Z left .............

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/01/2016 22:27:52

[Email]
Noel Rabouhans
Forum Member

I have had a quick look at listings, and have noted some omissions for Free French commandos, which I would be happy to correct (although this might take some time).

Before I do so, could I ask if there are any conventions with regard to:

1. Ranks (French or British equivalents). There does not appear to be consistency at present.
2. Commando unit (10 IA or 4). Again there does not appear to be consistency.

If someone can advise on these points, I will work through the list from A - Z.

Noel Rabouhans
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I will look at S-Z now...

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Here is my attempt at spotting missing or entries with typos/missing data.
Of course I may have missed a few, so more eyes that check the better.

Summary - see below for details

Found 3 missing Names
Found about 17 with typos, missing etc.

In places initials or middlenames are separated by a fullstops, others a comma, or none. Should make consistent as Noel Rabouhans mentioned.

Where we have the data, can we add a column for age or date of birth ? Especially, as sadly, there are more recent Commandos who have died young - one my age I noted. It may be of interest to future researchers, and gives more colour to their later life stories.

Looking at S-Z surnames in http://www.commandoveterans.org/Obituaries

Missing from new MR page http://www.commandoveterans.org/CommandoObituariesS-Z
==================================================================

Mne. George William SAVINGS (47 & 48RM Cdo,, 45 Cdo RM) died 24th October 2002
Frederick George SMITH (No 9 Cdo) died 25th May 2009 aged 88 - there is another George smith of 5 commando
Jimmy SMITH (No 1 Cdo) died 20th Feb 1982

Needs updating on new MR page due to typo or missing information in
from http://www.commandoveterans.org/CommandoObituariesS-Z

==================================================================
Colonel David SMILEY (52 ME Cdo) died 9th January 2009 aged 92 years - shown as Major
STEVENS J.P Capt 43 RM NK - change fullstop to comma for intials
STOKES JA Tsm 44 RM 1991 - add comma for intials i.e J,A
STORER William H.B. 'bill' Cpl 4 Cdo Bde 2012-03-24 - intials
TEASDALE Henry Eirvin Fus 4 & 6 2015-01-14 - replace & should be 4,6 for units
TIEFENBRUNNER Maurice Sgt 51 MEC 2013-07-24 - MEC in other places its ME
Lt Col. Charles VAUGHAN OBE (Commanding Officer of the CBTC and founder member of the Commando Association) died April 1968 -- add date of death
L/Cpl. John E. WALKER (1 Bde Sigs) - missing Initial E.
Capt. T.G. Allan WALKER (No 2 Cdo) died 20th June 1964 - missing "Alan" from name
WARREN J.W. 'Joe' Pte 12. 6 2012-08-26 - unit 12. 6 should be 12,6
Pte RD WARWICK (Van Wyk) (10 IA Cdo) - missing "Van wyk"
TSM John Yates WHARF (No 4 Cdo) died 1978 - missing year of death
WOODS PM Tpr 3 NK - add comma intials
YOUNG FW Mne 44 RM 1991 - add comma intials
Ronald 'Ken' YOUNG (No 9 Cdo) died 19 December 2009 - missing nickname 'ken'
ZENTNER Dolphi Pte 51 MEC 2003-06-12 - MEC in other places its ME

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks everyone for your help. Obituaries now updated and the new files in place. Noel I have sent you a private message.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/Obituaries

[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Great job done by everyone.

Janet
Francis David Tanner
Forum Member

Hi, I hope this is the correct forum to list my late Uncle Harry Knappett. On my visit to England in June & July this year to commemorate the Battle of The Somme in France I was informed by my Aunt that her husband had been in the Commando's and gave me all the information. As I am a member of the Commando Veterans Association I thought he should be included in the Honour roll of Veterans. His information follows.
Harrold Walter Knappett Joined 45 Cdo Royal Marines AS Group in Lympstone on 17/03/42 and his number was CH/X 108472. On the 17/03/1945 he suffered a chest wound from shrapnel and returned to England and was granted a good conduct medal.
I believe he passed away on Sept 17th 1997 but cannot be sure of the year.
I hope that he can be included in the Commando Veterans Obituaries List.
Many thanks
Francis D Tanner.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Francis

We do not hold service records. As such where we have no local record ourselves of an individual, as in this case, we ask that verification of service in a Commando be provided before we include a name in any of our Nominal Rolls or our Obituaries. This is not to cast doubt, simply to maintain the historical accuracy of our Archive. Such verification can come in the form of service records listing commando service, or other documents or letters with such detail, photos where insignia are visible, etc. Once this has been provided to us we will of course add details to whichever records need to be updated. Please feel free to contact me further by email in regard to this if need be.

In the meantime should any other member be able to provide such verification please respond here.

Regards

Pete

[Email]
D Bond
Forum Member

Just to formally add an Obituary for Wilfred John Bond 1911 -1985

1911 Born in Tibenham Norfolk.
1930 Signed up fot the Royal Marines in London with the Chatham Division (CH/X697). On RN ships as a gunner for the first 10 years of service including HMS Dragon and HMS Ajax.
1939 Fought at the Battle of the River Plate on HMS Ajax on 13th December and was wounded in the leg. Left HMS Ajax when she returned to the UK in 1940 and volunteered to join 1/101st RM Brigade.
1940 Involved in Operation Menace the unsuccessful operation to Capture Dakar as a Corporal.
1942 Wilfred volunteered for A Commando and took part in Operation Jubilee the Dieppe Raid., A Commando then became 40 Commando.
1943 Sergeant Wilfred Bond 40 Commando takes part in Operation Husky, the Invasion of Sicily Assulting the beach head (LHS of Sugar Beach) and fights across the island.
1943 40 Commando takes part in Operation Ferdy with an opposed landing at Porto San Venere ("Benere").
1943 With 40 Commando takes part in Operation Devon with an opposed landing at Termoli, This is a hard fought campaign.
1943 Hospitalised with "Shell Shock" directly after the battles at Termoli Wifred spends about 8 months in hospitals.
1944 Wilfred joins Holding Operational Commando in Wales and reaches the rank of Company Sergeant Major (CSM) until the end of the war
1946 With Royal Marines after the disbanding of the RM Commando units Wilfred is part of the Allied Occupation of Trieste.
1952 Wilfred retires after 22 Years service at Deal Barracks with the rank of Sergeant.
1984 Wilfred Bond dies on the 5th of February.

BOND Wilfred John Sgt/CSM 101RMB, A RM, 40 RM, HOC 1984-02-05

CVA Note: Nick Collins has seen the RM Records for Wilfred. A photo is available but permission will need to be obtained from direct family.

In memory of Sgt. Wilfred John Bond CH/X697 1911 to 1985 Battle of the River Plate, 101st RM Brigade Dakar, A/40 Commando Dieppe, Sicily, Porto San Venere, Termoli , CSM Holding Operational Commando.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Commando service for Wilfred John Bond verified and his name has been added to our Obituaries. Awaits photo.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 24/11/2017 21:13:04

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks everyone for all your hard work. It will be appreciated by the Commando family in the future.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger