commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Green Beret........A riddle to be solved 1940  XML
Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Everyone

Can anyone suggest an answer to a bit of a poser. A Green Beret that I aquired at a local S/H shop has on it an old RM Commando cap badge.

The Beret is clearly dated 1940? according to my research No 1 Commando were the first unit to wear the Green Beret, which was specially comissioned, in 1942 on the Torch landings.

Any suggestions as to the origin of my rogue beret?

Regards
JohnM

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 27/04/2007 13:26:01

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Hi John,
No 1 Cdo were indeed the first to wear the Green Beret in '42. Apparantly, the first Royal Marine commando was Lieutenant Colonel BJ D Lumsden who commanded 41 (RM) Commando in 1943. However, in his history of 40 Commando RM the author, Major J C Beadle MBE MC RM, who was at the time serving in the unit, the first RM Commando to be formed, states that the initial issue was made to members of the unit on 26th October 1942. (?) Some confliction there, however how a Green Beret could be dated as 1940 is beyond me as the first consignement wasn't ordered until 1942. Is it marked with anything else? Could it be a foreign issued beret or of a non-commando unit? Bring it along to the NMA or Fort William, someone may have an answer.
Kind regards
Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Thanks Geoff

I think you are correct .......it's probably another non commando green beret. Although when you remove the RM badge the imprint seems to be right as though it's been on there a long time.

Just a thought did the boy scouts wear a green beret. :(

I will try to post a pic in the forum.

best regards

JohnM

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger