commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Request from the Australian Commando Association regarding Ted Rushton MM.  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

I have had an email from Richard Pelling of the Australian Commando Association in Victoria requesting information on a former British Army Commando, Ted Rushton, can anyone provide assistance with this request?:

Cheers Andy

[i" ]Hi Andy. Thought you might like a pic of a Brit Cdo Ted Ruston MM, who has become a member of our Cdo Association. You might know of him/

I was searching the web for info on his service and actions resulting in his receiving the MM.

Ted is almost stone deaf and conversation is difficult, which is understanding hi age, 98 Yrs. He is attending the ANZAC march and the Cdo Lunch here in Melbourne and with his family. He is a popular member of the association..

I would appreciate it If you could direct me to a site that contains a bit of Ted?s history and his being awarded his MM..

Regards

Dick

clip_image001.jpg

Richard Pelling

Australian Commando Association Vic."

[i]

[Thumb - TedRushton.png]
 Filename TedRushton.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 334 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  414 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 18/04/2014 13:49:00

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

Andy,
The photograph that you have posted shows him wearing a Military Cross not the Military Medal. He must have received a commission at some time in his military service.

There is a E Rushton F Troop 4 Commando in this photograph.
http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/troop+photos/f+troop/F+TROOP+4__.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

His cap badge appears to be a Lancashire Fusiliers.

Regards

Guy
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Guy

Thanks for the very swift reply, I have just sent a copy of your email to Dick Pelling in Australia, so hopefully we will get a reply / clarification as to whether this is a photo of the Ted Rushton in question and your point concerning the correct medal awarded.

Thanks again, cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Commando Association Lost Legion 10 has an entry for Cpl. E. G. Rushton No 4 Commando last heard of in Walkden, Manchester.

Also there is another photo of the same guy as in the above troop image here: No.4 Commandos at Braemar

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

Dick Pelling has confirmed that the Ted Rushton he has enquired about is indeed the one in the No4 Troop photo, I will send him the other photo that Peter has found and also ask if Ted has any photos, docs etc that we could have for our Gallery.

Many thanks, cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
BillP
Forum Member

Andy
Did the reply explain the MC / MM debate? Also the George A Brown book does not mention an award of either medal to a Ted Rushton, maybe this is a missed citation.
Cheers
Bill

Proud son of Sgt Alexander Pirie MM Royal Marines 1935 to 1947

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger