commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Private John Notman 3189059  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Jacqueline Foster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete,

Thank you for placing the photo of John and his mam on the Gallery.

Thank you
Jacqueline

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 17/06/2014 07:55:01

Treasured are the years
Spent with thee
Sweet thy memory...
(Isabella Robertson Notman)
Jacqueline Foster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I received John's death certificate today.
It said his age (at his last birthday) at the time of his death was 23.
This is incorrect as is John's age on his grave.
The age on the death certificate no doubt reflects John's stated age on his enlistment papers, which was incorrect.

Jacqueline

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 17/01/2015 07:32:15

Treasured are the years
Spent with thee
Sweet thy memory...
Jacqueline Foster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello,

I was told by my mum and aunt that John was in the 1st battalion/KOSB, as were his two brothers.

Today I looked at John's service records again and noticed it said he joined the Territorial Army, 5th bn and his unit was 5thKOSB.

Would anyone know if you stayed with the one battalion or could change battalions during your service, please.

Thank you
Jacqueline

Treasured are the years
Spent with thee
Sweet thy memory...
Jacqueline Foster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello,

I think I may have found the answer to my last message. Not real sure but maybe.

Although John signed up for four years, I think the 5th/KOSB was a reserve unit and that embodied meant mobilisation and therefore John was embodied/called up for potential active service on 2/9/1939 and went with the BEF to France with the 1st/KOSB on 12/6/40 and became a No4 Commando at some stage after that.

I thought before, that he may have joined the commandos at aged 17, but now I think he may have been 18 or 19.

Thank you
Jacqueline

Treasured are the years
Spent with thee
Sweet thy memory...
Jacqueline Foster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Stephane,

You mentioned here on the Forum some time ago, that you had received a copy of photos of John from a collector.

Andrew very kindly sent me a photo that you had sent to him and I was wondering if you had copies of any other photos of John or of anything else relating to him?

I know you are busy, but I would be so very grateful, if you could send me copies of anything else you may have, when you have the time, please.

Thank you.
Best wishes.
Jacqueline

Treasured are the years
Spent with thee
Sweet thy memory...
Jacqueline Foster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thank you to the amazing people of the CVA and the Forum.

Without you, I would never have learnt so much about John or seen for the very first time, the photo of John as a young Commando. This photo, cropped from a group photo at Braemer is the one I absolutely love the most.

What I have been able to uncover about John in a relatively short period of time, with your help, is unbelievable. Not only this, but on the Forum I have made good friends and even made contact with a relative I didn't know of. I have been able to share all that I have learned, so far, with friends and family.
John's sister Anne is particularly grateful as she was little when John died. I will continue to delve!

Pete, Nick, Eileen and Andrew have been particularly kind to me, but really, you have all been so very helpful.
THANK YOU' I am extremely grateful.

Jacqueline

Treasured are the years
Spent with thee
Sweet thy memory...
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I'm so happy to have 'met' you, Jaki. John's was a story I wondered about - now I know so much more about him too.

They were together back then, together now ... and they brought us all together. A job well done.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 19/10/2014 09:43:32

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

This is a lovely outcome Jacqueline......and the very reason we set up this site and forum.

It is so rewarding to read comments like yours..........and I am sure you will enjoy many years and many memorable times amongst what has now become this fantastic Commando family.

Best regards

John M

[Thumb - IMG_2506.JPG]
 Filename IMG_2506.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 752 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  355 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/10/2014 09:58:17

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Jacqueline Foster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thank you so much John and thank you for the photo. That is very kind of you. I love being part of the Commando family. It has changed my life so much and for the better. :D

I received beaut news today from Fred to say that John's paver should be in place at Alrewas by 11 November. Fred is very kindly going to send me a photo of the paver when it is in place.

Every time I think, that's it, I will never find out anymore about John, something unexpected always crops up. e.g. recently finding a lovely smiling John in the No4 Commando Panorama and Pete sending me a cropped photo with John and Eileen's dad, amongst other lads in it from the Panorama and today news about John's paver.
I am so lucky!

Thank you again John
Best wishes
Jacqueline

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/10/2014 02:04:47

Treasured are the years
Spent with thee
Sweet thy memory...
Jacqueline Foster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I always wondered why it stated on John's grave that he died aged 21 when he died at 22 years of age.

Today I received a letter from Casualty Enquiries in the UK. After the war the Commission sent a verification form to John's parents requesting details for his grave. On the form they received back from granny, it said John was born in 1922 and he died aged 21 years. John was born in 1921. I know Granny would have been in total shock and just wrote down the wrong birth date.

The pieces are falling into place.

Treasured are the years
Spent with thee
Sweet thy memory...
Jacqueline Foster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My and my family's thanks to the lovely Stephane, Fred and Eileen. Stephane for placing beautiful orange flowers on John's grave on 11 November and for sending me photos. Fred for arranging for John's paver to be placed at Alrewas and for sending me photos. Eileen for many things and for
going to Ranville and le Hauger next August. x I am so lucky and so very grateful to so many kind people

Jacqueline :)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/11/2014 03:24:44

Treasured are the years
Spent with thee
Sweet thy memory...
Jacqueline Foster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thank you again Eileen and thank you again Stephane. Another mystery solved

Treasured are the years
Spent with thee
Sweet thy memory...

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger