commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Private John Notman 3189059  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Anderson
Forum Member

Hello,

We are looking for any information on Private John Notman 3189059 killed 2nd July 1944, buried at Ranville Church. We know he was from the KOSB's and No.4 Commando. My grandmother was a Notman from Carlisle, not sure yet what the exact relationship between them was. Can anyone help with any information and history on John.

Thanks

Andrew
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi!

My dad, George Francis Harris, was also in No.4. I put 'John Notman' in the Google search at the top of the page and there are a couple of photos there.

I'm sure someone will be along with more info.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/10/2013 00:40:39

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Anderson
Forum Member

Eileen,

Thanks for the quick reply. we have found one photo of John with a group on the top of a mountain, but not any others. Can you point us in the right direction for the other.

Thanks

Andrew
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The other one was a photo of his gravestone - hopefully there'll be other ones of him ... there are lots of photos of No.4 in the Gallery so hopefully we'll find some more.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

[Email]
Anderson
Forum Member

Thanks again

Have seen the photo of his gravestone, we have just been to it very recently. Would like to find out more about him and what operations he was involved in

Andrew
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I'm useless at links but if you put 'John Notman Lofoten Islands' in the Google box you'll see something.

[Email]
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello to all

Few years ago, I was in touch with someone who got JOHN NOTMAN's photos from e-bay ( if i remember well ) and medals too.
He sent to me copies of this.

best regards

stéphane
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Andrew.

My Dad was kia with No 4 in Flushing. In the Dieppe list I have he is listed as taking part in that raid.

Best wishes with your search.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Andrew the Dieppe report confirms his service number and that he was in the K.O.S.B before joining No4.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The guy who had the photo found the medals on the back of the photo when it came from the seller, the buyer was my uncle Mike Williams. John Notman is mentioned in Murdoch Mcdougalls book about No 4 Commando i believe the medals are now in the hands of a friend of my uncle who has a huge collection of medals from WW1 and WW2, i believe that when the medals went to the collector it went as a package with various documents that were researched and also included a FS Knife and beret with KOSB badge, family tree, photo of the grave, various correspondance from James Dunning, etc.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Anderson
Forum Member

Craig,

Thanks very much for the information, it is very interesting to find out more about him. Have recently ordered a copy of the book you mention, but it has not yet arrived. Do you have a contact for your uncles friend? Would like to have a copy of the photo if that would be possible. Would there be any family connection between the notmans and this friend?

Thanks again for the information.

Andrew
Jacqueline Foster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

G'Day,
John Notman is my Uncle. He was one of 7 children. 3 of his siblings are still alive. Peter and Bella live in Canada and Anne lives in Australia. My mother Mary was his sister. John and his family were from Annan in Dumfriesshire Scotland.

Jacqueline Foster.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 06/09/2015 14:13:24

Treasured are the years
Spent with thee
Sweet thy memory...
(Isabella Robertson Notman)
Jacqueline Foster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

G'day again, just a little bit more info on John.

He was born in Gretna, Scotland on 22 September 1921. His father, John Notman, had been a member of the Highland Light Infantry, BlackWatch.
John's mother, Isabella McCairn Robertson Notman died on 11 June 1987 and was cremated at Carlisle.

Andrew, you say that your grandmother was a Notman from Carlisle. Could you tell me her first name please? I wonder if we are related.

Thank you to everyone on the forum for their interest in John. It was lovely to see the photos for the first time too.

Jacqueline

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 06/09/2015 14:13:55

Treasured are the years
Spent with thee
Sweet thy memory...
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Isn't this place wonderful?

Thanks to those who provide such a place so that people can find out such amazing things! :)

[Email]
Jacqueline Foster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Andrew if you go to google and type in James Dunning WW2 and scroll down to
The Fighting Fourth No. 4 Commando at War by James Dunning, it may be of interest
To you. You may have already done this. It is very interesting.

See you later
Jacqueline

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/12/2013 00:34:22

Treasured are the years
Spent with thee
Sweet thy memory...

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger