commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Harold 'Dick' Simpson 48 RM Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
asr1991
Forum Member

Hi,
Just joined the forum and hoping to get some help from anyone who can!
I am researching the men on my local war memorial. one of them named is Harold 'Dick' Simpson, EX.2938(T), who was killed on D Day as he went into Juno Beach with 48 RM Commando.
Dick, who joined up in Feb 1940, was with MNBDO II with which unit he served in N. Africa, and Sicily etc. before being recalled to the UK with his unit to be re-formed into 48 Commando.
I do not have his service record and so was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to find out more.
Hopefully
Jeff
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Jeff,
Welcome to our forums and thanks for your post.

May I ask what sort of information are you after?

The only information I can add to that you provided is that L/Cpl Harold Simpson, RM, Died of Wounds 6th June 44.

To be honest, unless you have the individuals service records, it is very difficult to find out much about him. You can apply for his service records from MoD - this would cost you £30 but, as you are not a relative, you would only receive very basic information (possibly less than you've already found out yourself).
The RM records I have seen don't seem to contain much anyway - I have seen records, obtained by Next of Kin, that wholly comprise of 3 lines!
If you do want to apply to MoD for the records, I can forward the appropriate forms & address to you...

We can give you the brief histories of MNBDO II and 48 RM Cdo but, again, I suspect you've already researched this information.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
asr1991
Forum Member

Hi Nick,

You're right on a number of counts - I have done some preliminary research I know this man joined up in Feb 1940 and I know that he served in N. Africa (because I have a copy of a letter he sent home at the time). It was from this letter that I know that during his time in N. Africa at least he was serving in "X coy. RM, 2M Echeleon, MNBDO II, MEF". I believe that he remained with this unit through the landings at Sicily etc. before MNBDO II was recalled to the UK to establish 48 RM Commando.
I have found personal accounts of the establishment of 48 Commando online and I would imagine the training and movements of the unit to be generic to all those who served in that unit - I may be wrong in this assumption and I am happy to be corrected if this isn't the case?
I guess the questions I would like to answered would be:
1. Does the service number give any indication as to original unit upon enlistment and does it offer any more clues as to an individual's service?
2. Can anyone tell me about "X Coy, 2M Echelon" and where it fitted in within the MNBDO?
3. Does anyone know of any personal accounts which might exist telling of the formation and subsequent utilisation of 48 RM Commando up to 6th June 1944?
Any information would be helpful.
Just as an aside - I have tried to discover where the official record of his cause of death might be found - The family believe that he was killed outright whilst still aboard the landing craft as it went into Juno Beach whereas I am beginning to think that, as you have stated in your post, he actually died of his wounds. Any ideas?

Thanks

Jeff
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

asr1991 wrote:Hi Nick,

1. Does the service number give any indication as to original unit upon enlistment and does it offer any more clues as to an individual's service?

The Service Number does not relate to a particular unit but to the Division in which the recruit entered the Service. Thus the prefix ?EX?, followed by a number of three or four digits, indicates a special Reservist entered at the Exton Division between October 1939 and July 1940.
However, my source states that the ranks holding these EX service numbers were then transferred to the Chatham (CH), Plymouth (PLY) or Portsmouth (PO) Divisions and allocated a number in the six figure series...
Any reference to this at all?

Here is a link to a useful page in the Royal Marine Museum website which may be of use to your research...
http://www.royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk/category/researching-family-and-royal-marine-history

Regarding how L/Cpl Simpson died, I refered to two sources and both stated 'Died of Wounds'. Both sources had others as 'DoW' but they also had other casualties listed as 'Killed'.
'Killed' does suggest a more immediate death than 'Died of Wounds' which suggests to me that he may have been given some sort of treatment before he passed away.

Nick

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
asr1991
Forum Member

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

With regards to his service number, I can tell you that he carried the number EX.2938(T) right through his service. It is recorded as this on a letter he wrote home whilst in N. Africa and is given in the CWGC records. I looked at the link you sent and it does appear that his number should have been changed, but clearly wasn't?

Any ideas about the "2M Echelon..."?

Regards

Jeff
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Jeff
asr1991 wrote:Hi Nick,

Any ideas about the "2M Echelon..."?

Regards

Jeff

Is this a case of poor handwriting?
Certainly there was a 'RM 2nd Echelon, MNBDO II operating as part of the MEF so I'm guessing that is what was meant...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
sjb007
Forum Member

Hi Jeff

My father (William Baker EX1278(T)) also joined at Exton on 29 January 1940 and held this service number until 31 December 1945. He then went into the RFR for his 12 year service with a CHB Service No. (Chatham Class B). His war time service record shows him as a Tradesman (Driver, I believe) and possibly the T therefore stands for Tradesman, or perhaps Transport?

Best wishes
Sarah
bowtr
Forum Member
[Avatar]

A worthwhile book for you is D-Day Commando by Ken Ford. It helped me pin down my Grandad to 48 RM Commando as it overlapped most of the places he went prior to his commando service. These included sailing to Durban as part of the MNBDO then up the African east coast to Egypt and North Africa, then Scicily, before being recalled to Britain and Achnacarry and then into Normandy.
[Email]
bowtr
Forum Member
[Avatar]

sjb007 wrote:Hi Jeff

My father (William Baker EX1278(T)) also joined at Exton on 29 January 1940 and held this service number until 31 December 1945. He then went into the RFR for his 12 year service with a CHB Service No. (Chatham Class B). His war time service record shows him as a Tradesman (Driver, I believe) and possibly the T therefore stands for Tradesman, or perhaps Transport?

Best wishes
Sarah

I was told that the 'T' stands for Technical, indicating that he had been trained in a certain area?
[Email]
pang
Forum Member

Hi Jeff,

I am about to publish my Grandad's book. He was also in the 48 and landed in Normandy on D+1. He gives a brief mention of a Dick Simpson killed on the landing craft. Thanks to your information, I'm now able to identify Dick Simpson as L.Cpl. SIMPSON H. who appears on a roll of honour taken from a memorial at the Royal Marines Museum in Southsea, which we are including at the back. There's only this mention of him but for what it's worth, here's the paragraph...

Goodbye to the Beachhead and to my friends who remained there; to mention just three, Dick Simpson who was killed on the landing craft, poor Freddie Fox who had his head blown off when he stepped out of his jeep onto a mine, and a cheerful Strewan whose jeep had a direct hit from a mortar.

If I can give you any more info, please let me know.

I would also like to link the other 2 to the roll of honour if possible.

There are 2 Foxes on the roll of honour, none of which have an 'F' initial. Mne. FOX A.T. and Mne. FOX W. It could well be that Freddy was a nickname, as was Dick. There are no Strewans on the roll of honour. I note that Struan is another possible spelling but still haven't found anything.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Paul
pang
Forum Member

Just thought...

Mne. FOX A.T.

... the A could be Alfred so that may well be Freddie Fox
pang
Forum Member

I'm also thinking that Strewan may not be a person but may be some kind of slang.
pang
Forum Member

Mne. FOX A.T. is Arthur Thomas
Mne. FOX W. is Walter

So I still don't know if either are the Freddie Fox he describes
pang
Forum Member

Did you come across this Jeff?

SIMPSON, HAROLD Lance Corporal 48 R.M. Commando Age: 26 Date of Death: 06/06/1944 Service No: EX.2938(T) Additional information: Son of John and Nora Simpson, of Witney. Commonwealth War Dead Grave Reference: Sec N. Grave 3295. Cemetery: WITNEY BURIAL GROUND Died of wounds in Normandy landings

I have also found a grave reference for the Foxes. Walter died at Normandy on the 6th so is a more likely Freddy Fox.

FOX, WALTER Marine 48 R.M. Commando. Age: 28 Date of Death: 06/06/1944 Service No: PO/X110652 Additional information: Son of William John and Rose Fox; husband of Gladys Matilda Fox, of South Norwood, Surrey. Commonwealth War Dead Grave Reference: XIV. B. 6. Cemetery: BAYEUX WAR CEMETERY Killed in action Normandy
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi
A very good reference for both Royal Marine and RM Commandos is Naval-History net,this gives information by date [in diary format,year,month and day].
On the 6-6-1944, 48 Royal Marine Commando suffered a loss of 43 men.

Ty LCPL SIMPSON,Harold EX 2938,DOW
Marine FOX,Walter PO/X 110652 killed.

I agree there are no reference to a Marine called Strewan or the likes.
Just wanted to confirm that you have the right Fox.

Regards

Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger