commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando Medics  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I've received a request for information from Shaun White.
Shaun is currently employed as a medic on a large & busy tri-service MoD Establishment in the UK.

Shaun White wrote:...I am researching RAMC personnel attached to Commando Units during WW2. Would you have any photos or information that I could look at regarding kit and equipment used by these men during the war. Would you know of any surviving members of the Commando Veterans Association that would have served in the RAMC within the Commando units?

I have an appointment book with Keough Barracks later this month to look a little more futher into this area of interest.

Many, many thanks for your time and help In this matter.

I have tried to help as much as I can, but if anyone knows of a Veteran that may be able to assist Shaun with his research I can put them in touch with him.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Have you read the book on Eric Harden VC, army cmmando medic attached to 45 R.M. Commando, have only glanced it but looked very interesting, got 2 mates who re army commando medics still serving at the moment, i can ask them if they have any info, one is due to be posted to keogh in a few weeks time, will ask and get back to you, but i would iamgine it was the same uniform as other ranks, with a dads army godfrey style haversack full of first field dressings.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your reply.
Shaun is, in fact, an ex-regular with RAMC, currently serving as a TA on a Field Ambulance.

I think he is more interested with the medical equipmentetc the Commando Medics used rather than uniform (we have photos of a few medics attached to the Commandos in the Gallery).

I have indeed told Shaun about two books about Cpl Harden VC - one which was written in collaboration with Julie Wells (Eric Harden's daughter)

"Commando Medic: Doc Harden VC" (Stephen Snelling)

and one written by Julie herself

"Eric Harden VC: My Family's Story" (Julia Harden)

As always all posts and replies on the subject are very welcome.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I don't know if this will be of any help to Shaun but I've just come across a book review on the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh's website which includes the following:

"Of special interest are the two assaults that have been written up by a Fellow of this College, Professor John Forfar. Captain John Forfar was the Medical Officer of 47 Royal Marine Commando and won a Military Cross during the Assault on Walcheren in 1944." It also mentions "Forfar's own book From Omaha to the Scheldt - the story of 47 Royal Marine Commando."
http://www.rcpe.ac.uk/journal/issue/journal_37_3/amphibious%20assault_abbrev.pdf

Julie

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
Shaun
Forum Member

Hello all,

I am still interested to know if anyone has
A) Contact with any RAMC veterans who served in the Commandos during WW2.
B) Any interesting info/ pictures concerning the RAMC and the Commandos.

many thanks for all the help so far.

Never look down on a Medic, one day you may be looking up at one...
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Shaun,

See the entry on this message re a good book to read about Dr James Rickett on the island of Vis. Island of Terrible Friends

Have you read the life story of Corporal Robert Shields RAMC and No 5 Commando provided by his son Tim to the CVA. Again worth reading. Go to this page and click on the link. Please note if you wish to use material from this, or any other item/image on our website, for your book appropriate credits will be required in respect of the author/donor and the CVA.

Corporal Robert Hay Shields

Pat Higgins RAMC served I think with 46RM Cdo is still about. Have you met or made contact with any Commando medics as yet. Feel free to contact me by email if need be. details below.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 29/09/2014 10:22:34

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Shaun
Forum Member

Hi,

Thats a great help. I volunteer at the AMS museum and reenactment 16PFA which there is alot of info of the Airborne medics so therefore i am gonna try and document, as best as i can, the Commandos too. Of course any info used i will contact the people involved to get approval to use their material.

I have a lot of info. Some of which has not seen the light of day! It is a case of trying to sort out the info. Into a useful book. I was actually looking at asking a yourself and Nic to look over the final draft, once done.

Never look down on a Medic, one day you may be looking up at one...

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger