commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando cap badges  XML
Forum Index » Commando Insignia
Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear All,

I have a couple of questions regarding cap badges,

I believe that many of the commandos in the early `40`s wore the cap badge of their original regiments from before they volunteered. Is there any record of any commandos originally from the Black Watch wearing the red hackle with the green beret?

Also, when were the specific commando cap badges designed and worn?

My thanks in advance for any help!

Yours Very Truly,

Paul Macdonald

- Commando D Living History Group -
www.commandod.com
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Paul,
Welcome aboard the CVA forum.
This is a topic that has, in part, been discussed in previous posts but I will attempt to answer some of your questions and, if I am wrong, I hope someone will correct me...

There was no 'official' Commando cap badge as such.
Most commandos continued to wear their parent regimental badge on their green berets.

Some Commando Units (notably No2) fashioned their own cap badges - in No2's case please see this link:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/36.page

Nos 50, 51, 52 & 53 (The Middle East Commandos) also devised their own badge:

with regard to the red hackle, can I draw your attention to the wonderful photo of Frank Johnson of No3 at Spean Bridge 2007:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/events/spean-bridge-2007/IMG_1012.jpg.html

I've never had the honour to meet Frank Johnson so I don't know which regiment he was in but he's certainly wearing a red hackle.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nick,

That is great information, many thanks for your time and excellent answers.

I ask as I am taking part in the WWII re-enactors march from Achnacarry - Spean Bridge in April and want to honour my grandfather, as he was originally in the Lovat Scouts and then in the Black Watch, where he ended up a Major and earned a Military Cross at Cassino.

I wasn`t sure if the Black Watch red hackle was ever worn with the green beret, as I discovered that the Black Watch cap badge is quite tall (about 3"), being designed primarily for wear on the Glengarry, which is higher sided than the beret.

The photo of Frank Johnson would certainly seem to provide historical precedence for doing so, and I shall proudly wear one on the day :D

It should be an intensive day, as my friend and I plan to speed march from Spean - Achnacarry in kit first thing before meeting the re-enactors there to join them on the march back.

Cheers again Nick,

Yours Very Truly,

Macdonald

- Commando D Living History Group -
www.commandod.com
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Paul,
I'm pleased that you found my info useful - I'm certainly not an expert so I hope that what I've posted is accurate.

If you look on the CVA Forum Gallery you'll find a photo of No9 Cdo in green berets and black hackles and there's also a photo of No11 Cdo in Tam o' Shanters with hackles.

Interestingly, on the photo of No9, as on that of Frank Johnson, I cannot pick out any hat badges - it appears that the hackles are simply pinned on to the beret...

hopefully someone will be able to throw some light on this?

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Nic and Mac

Re the photo of Frank Johnson.

Frank is a Lincoln CVA member and a Co founding member of the CVA.

His parent Regiment was The Black Watch.

Hope this helps.
Regards
John M

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/02/2008 07:14:35

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Forum Index » Commando Insignia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger