commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
47 R.M Commando photo?  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Mark Smith
Forum Member

Hi everyone and a happy new year!
During the christmas period having lent my copy of "From Omaha to the Scheldt" to my mother she gave it back to me along with a group of original photos of my great uncle Harrold Plank of 47 R.M. Commando.I had already seen most of them and had contributed some to the 47 gallery on the site but one of them I had not seen before.It appears to be a group of R.M Commandos but I cannot identify Harrold amongst them. I assume the photo must have something to do with him since he was the only member of our family to serve in the R.M. Commandos to my knowledge.
I have attached the picture in the hope that someone may recognise something or someone which will help to identify it's origin.
Thanks in anticipation.
[Thumb - CCF05012012_00000.jpg]
 Filename CCF05012012_00000.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 47 R.M. COMMANDO?
 Filesize 596 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  360 time(s)

Mark Smith
Forum Member

Just realised I have two more photos from distant cousins from the Plank family who contacted my sister and then me whilst researching the family. They both feature Harold Plank plus two of his mates. As with the previous photo I'd be very intersted if anyone can identify either the location or the other two men in the pictures.
[Thumb - H.H.P 1.jpg]
 Filename H.H.P 1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 62 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  348 time(s)

[Thumb - H.H.P 2.jpg]
 Filename H.H.P 2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 66 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  335 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/01/2012 21:31:41

Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Mark,

I had a good look at the badges the men wear on their berets and quite honestly I don't think they are Marines but more likely men from the Tank Regiment. The badge of the Tank Regiment has the WW1 model tank in the middle of it which shows as some sort of a bar in the badge, if you know what I mean. Besides that, the sergeant on the left is wearing what looks like a coverall which was the type of clothing they used inside a tank as far as I know. When you compare the badge they wear with the badge shown on the caps of the three Marines on the other photo you have posted, then the difference is clear to see I think.

Regards,

Jack
Mark Smith
Forum Member

thank you for your reply. It would make sense because I know that one of my other great uncles was in the royal tank regiment. Thank you very much for your advice it's much appreciated.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Mark

I have added the 2 additional pictures of CSM Plank to our 47RM Commando gallery:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/47RM+Commando/

In Memory of Company Sergeant Major HAROLD HENRY PLANK
No. 47 R.M. Commando., Royal Marines
who died age 26 on 02 November 1944
Remembered with honour at the BERGEN-OP-ZOOM WAR CEMETERY

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Mark,

Perhaps you already know and have seen it as well, but here is a link to a photograph of the headstone of your great uncle Harold on the Bergen op Zoom war cemetery. I live close by so if you would like me to pay a visit for any occasion, just let me know.

Regards,

Jack

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/War+graves+Holland/bergen+op+zoom/47rm/plank+hh++47rm.jpg.html
Mark Smith
Forum Member

Thanks very much Pete and Jack.

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger