commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Sgt. John Southworth MM 1 No Commando (4 Troop) & 5 Commando - Burma  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Jack.S.No1
Forum Member

I am trying to find any information or photographs about my late father, John Southworth, M.M. (Sedjenane). He was known as 'Jack'and was with Davidson Troop and was also at Achnacarry where I believe he was a trainer in the use of small arms (revolvers) for a while -sometime in 1943. I understand he was then posted to Burma with No 1/5 Commando.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/12/2011 10:47:36

Elaine -proud daughter of CSM. John (Jack) C H Southworth, M.M. (Sedjenane), No 1 Commando, 4 Troop and 1/5 Commando Burma
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

May I wish you a very warm welcome to the CVA, have you checked out the CVA gallery yet especially the excellent group photo of No1 Commando taken in Winchester in 1943 shortly before they departed for Burma, the following link will take you to this photo:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/panorama/

The following link will take you to a copy of the Winchester Reunion programme that was put together by Henry Brown to commemorate No1's return to Winchester in 1995, as you can see your father's name is mentioned. If you would like a copy of this document, let me know and I will send one to you.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/nominal+rolls/1+cdo+nom+role/Z5-Winchester+Reunion+Programme_.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

As you can see your father's position has been numbered as 305, it would be great if you could confirm this. If you do not already have a copy of this photo, then I would be more than happy to send you a high resolution copy on disc.
Are you aware that you can send for a copy of your father's Army records, I and quite a few others on this site have done this already and received copies of original documents, althought the info contained in these docs can vary quite a bit, it is still well worth the effort and only costs £30. The following link will take you to the section of the Forum where the details for carrying out an application for your father's service records can be found.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/179.page

Do you have any photos of your own of your father's time with the Commandos, if so it would be graet if we could have copie for our Gallery. You would of course be credited as the owner and any images that you did give us permission to use would not be able to be reproduced or otherwise used without your express permission.

Good luck with your quest, Andy

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 06/12/2011 21:31:44

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Jack.S.No1 wrote:I am trying to find any information or photographs about my late father, John Southworth, M.M. (Sedjenane). He was known as 'Jack'and was with Davidson Troop and was also at Achnacarry where I believe he was a trainer in the use of small arms (revolvers) for a while -sometime in 1943. I understand he was then posted to Burma with No 5 Commando.

Croeso to the CVA forum, good to have you aboard (obviously the instructions worked then - easy wasn't it?).
From the IWM Interview with Geoff Hill that Julie W found recently, we can confirm that Sgt Jack Southworth was an Instructor at Achnacarry and, as my father went through training in 1943, we can confirm the date as well.

Here's hoping that some information regarding your father turns up.

Cheers,

Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 06/12/2011 22:35:38

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Here is a link about The Battle of Sedjenane; February 26th-March 4th 1943 which includes No1 Cdo's involvement and accounts from members of No1 Cdo including Jack Southworth's.

http://16dli.awardspace.com/page182.html

Cheers,
Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/12/2011 22:35:50

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Jack.S.No1
Forum Member

Thanks for all your prompt responses. Andy, I would love to have a copy of the photo at Winchester in 1943. I informed Pete Rogers last year that Dad was No 305 and he updated the photo for me. I have already requested a copy of Dads war record and hope to receive it within the next two months, and I also have a copy of the No 1 War Diary from IWM. Nick, thanks for the link to Sedjenane, I have read the 16 DLI website as Dad provided Tom Tunney with some of the information. I have a copy of a report from the Army Film Unit on the battle, together with Dad's 's original transcript and his drawing/map of the layout of the battle area. In my file I have Dad's notes on the set up of the T/A's, SWB/Commandos from the start, the formation of the special services, and the final assault by British and Americans at Bizerta.These have never been seen before. I also hold the original telegram from Commando HQ congratulating him on his M.M., and the original letter from Combined Operations Headquarters and King George VI doing the same. If there is anything else out there I would love to hear about it. Thanks Elaine

Elaine -proud daughter of CSM. John (Jack) C H Southworth, M.M. (Sedjenane), No 1 Commando, 4 Troop and 1/5 Commando Burma
Jack.S.No1
Forum Member

Andy, I do have some photos of Dad including some prior to/and whilst in Burma. I also have quite a few from Winchester 1995 including the wreath which was laid and the message on it can be clearly read. I took a film at the time from the Cathedral to the final evening. Although my intention was to film my Dad, many of No 1 including Col. Trevor and the city mayor are obviously on it. have now had this put onto DVD. I also have a DVD/some photos of many of the Commando Reunions throughout the years, the programme from Dartmouth 1991, some photos of the event and a typed list of names/addresses of all those No 1 Commandos who contributed to it. If you can use any of this info let me know.

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Elaine

Just thought I'd put the link to the photograph of your father that is already in our gallery, and the information we have there at the moment:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/John+Southworth+MM+copy.jpg.html

and also a link to the 16th Bn Durham Light Infantry website

http://16dli.awardspace.com/page180.html

where there is information from, and also about, your father and other Commandos involved at Sedjenane

[Thumb - John Southworth MM.jpg]
 Filename John Southworth MM.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 74 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  340 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 08/12/2011 15:30:31

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Elaine

I would of course be more than happy to send you a copy of the Winchester group photo, I have had this professionally printed, mounted and framed, it is approx 3 ft in length!!
I would very much like to see any photos, docs etc that you have mentioned, would it be possible to have these uploaded in to the gallery, I or others on this site could do this on your behalf if you are unable to upload them yourself.
If you send me a PM with the address that you would like the disc containing the Winchester photo to be sent to, I will gladly post this out to you.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Jack.S.No1
Forum Member

Many thanks to you both Nick and Andy. Will forward address asap. Elaine.

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

You can view images of original Salamander patches in the Gallery in the section called Commando Badges and Memorabilia, I have tried to attach links to this, but have been unable to do so. I have therefore attached some of these images directly from my computer, fingers crossed!! One of the images shows the reverse side of both the Salamander and matching shoulder title, an important detail that repro patches never get right.

Cheers Andy
[Thumb - Emblem 28-Insignia belonging to Maurice Brown-American volunteer with No1 Commando during Operation Torch-655 KB..jpg]
 Filename Emblem 28-Insignia belonging to Maurice Brown-American volunteer with No1 Commando during Operation Torch-655 KB..jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 656 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  349 time(s)

[Thumb - Emblem 27B-Reverse image of original No1 Commando 1st pattern shoulder title and salamander belonging to Maurice Brown-American vonteer with No1..JPG]
 Filename Emblem 27B-Reverse image of original No1 Commando 1st pattern shoulder title and salamander belonging to Maurice Brown-American vonteer with No1..JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1269 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  334 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 09/12/2011 23:02:59

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Jack.S.No1
Forum Member

Thought you might like to know I was looking through the CVA website and stopped at Letters/Documents. I came across a concert programme for No 1 Commando in India, and my Dad was shown as a Stage Director I never realised he was involved in the 'Theatre' and he might have been a possible Steven Spielberg. I was beginnng to think I would'nt find any more on him. What a fabulous website this is. It has certainly encouraged me to search for any other hidden treasures. Elaine.

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Elaine

The concert programme that you saw belongs to Terresa Fitzgerald, whose father was Eddie Fitzgerald, I have actually got a high resolution copy of this and would be more than happy to run you off a copy and send it with the disc containing the Winchester group photo. Eddie had many of the men involved with the concert sign the programme at the time of the performance, if you look carefully you can actually see these signatures.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Jack.S.No1
Forum Member

Andy, thank you so much, I would love a copy. Elaine.

Ailsa
Forum Member

http://www.aircrewremembrancesociety.com/raf1942/3/davidsonallan.html

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger