commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Anderson Manor nr. Poole  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
TheTreeDen
Forum Member

Hi, I am keen to know more about the plan to use Anderson Manor as SOE Station 62 later to become Commando 62. The research I have uncovered suggested it was Mountbattens baby but why did he need his own outfit?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/08/2011 15:24:44

Rover
Forum Member

Perhaps this will explain a bit more.

http://www.combinedops.com/SSRF.htm

Rover
TheTreeDen
Forum Member

One issue has come to light. As you all know Mountbatten wrote the Foreward for The Green Beret written by Hillary St. George Saunders.

I have been contacted by a person who has disclosed the following information:

#Docref=MB1/C19/34 Carbon copy of a typescript letter from Lord Louis Mountbatten to J.E.Appleyard, declining to write a foreword for the book GEOFFREY, 6 March 1946

Carbon copy of a typescript letter from Lord Louis Mountbatten to J.E.Appleyard, the Manor House, Yorkshire: Mountbatten acknowledges Appleyard's letter of 15 February, [MB1/C19/30]. Mountbatten feels unable to write a forward for Appleyard's book GEOFFREY, because he did not personally know the man very well. Furthermore he has previously refused requests to write forewords.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 26/08/2011 00:56:36

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

TheTreeDen wrote:One issue has come to light. As you all know Mountbatten wrote the Foreward for The Green Beret written by Hillary St. George...
Mountbatten feels unable to write a forward for Appleyard's book GEOFFREY, because he did not personally know the man very well. Furthermore he has previously refused requests to write forewords.

I'm sorry but I don't understand why you describe this as an issue?
Hilary St George Saunders was a Recorder on Mountbatten's Staff during the War and, as such, was probably known to Mountbatten.

Saunders was also known during the War for his books and pamphlets which he wrote officially and anonymously for the Government.
Therefore, it makes perfect sense for Mountbatten to write a Foreword to a book that was a semi-official account, by one of his Staff, about The Commandos - of whom Mountbatten was in charge.

Furthermore, Mountbatten didn't write that he had previously refused ALL requests for him to write Forewords.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 24/08/2011 22:46:26

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
TheTreeDen
Forum Member

The issue seems to be the "baby".

Station 62 was founded by Major G. March-Phillips, DSO.,O.B.E., Major J.G. Appleyard, D.S.O., M.C. and bar, and Captain G. Hayes, M.C.

Perhaps, the family or friends of Major J.G Appleyard may be able to disclose how they felt about the Mountbatten letter, this would then help us to picture a true understanding of the "father".

Page 68 "Sabotage and Subversion" SOE and OSS at War - by Ian Dear.
"The immediate postscript of "Postmaster" was that a month later Vice-Admiral Mountbatten, the Chief of Combined Operations, proposed to the Chiefs of Staff, that a small elite raiding force "SSRF" of about 50 men be formed under him". (This was the birth of No 62 at Anderson Manor, near Bere Regis in Dorset.)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 25/08/2011 13:25:24

TheTreeDen
Forum Member

Major March-Phillips died 13 September 1942 (France)
Major Appleyard died 13 July 1943 (Italy)
Captain Hayes died 13 July 1943 (France)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/08/2011 21:41:24

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The Small Scale Raiding Force (SSRF) was created in 1942 under the Chief of Combined Operations (CCO) - Mountbatten.

The SSRF, in essence, already existed as the SOE?s ?Maid of Honour Force? (named after the converted trawler used by the force).
Operationally, as did all the Combined Ops, it came under Mountbatten, as the CCO, but control was shared with the SOE.

I'm sure that the family & friends of Major Appleyard have no inclination to discuss how they feel about Lord Mountbatten or any other person on a public forum and we should respect that.

Furthermore, if you think you have an issue with the late Lord Louis Mountbatten, then I'm afraid the CVA Website is definitely not the place to air it.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/08/2011 17:07:56

Nick Collins,

[Email]
TheTreeDen
Forum Member

The family of Major Appleyard are very welcome to contact me direct.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 25/08/2011 21:23:58

TheTreeDen
Forum Member

There is some further information about Major Appleyard on the Yorkshire Evening Post (YEP) website.

Mountbatten wrote to Major Appleyard´s family.

Extract from YEP..... "Once word was out that Geoffrey was missing presumed dead other letters of tribute arrived at Linton. One was from Lord Louis Mountbatten, Supreme Allied Commander South East Asia, which read: "He was a grand leader and I was proud to have him in my command".

The LINK
http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/news-features/consumer/he_who_dared_1_2115260
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The King also wrote to the family of Major Appleyard, but I don't suppose that the King knew him any more than Lord Mountbatten did.

As CCO, Mountbatten had thousands of officers and men under his command but he couldn't be expected to know every officer.

Mountbatten did what every good Commander did when someone under his command fell in the course of duty - he wrote to the bereaved family.

I have no idea what you are trying to intimate with your threads but I do have to draw your attention to the Forum guidelines.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/1928.page

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
TheTreeDen
Forum Member

Nic,

I don´t understand your message.

My message is very clear and objective:

The Top Brass were involved in the "Pregnancy" that gave "Birth" to the "Baby"!

I hope I have not crossed the "LINE"!
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Perhaps the most fitting way to conclude this forum thread would be to remember those who died and are mentioned above :

In Memory of Captain GRAHAM HAYES MC
129354, Border Regiment and, Small Scale Raiding Force
who died age 29 on 13 July 1943
His brother Malcolm Cedric also died on service.
Remembered with honour VIROFLAY NEW COMMUNAL CEMETERY

In Memory of Major JOHN GEOFFREY APPLEYARD DSO, MC and Bar
86639, Royal Army Service Corps
attd. 1st Airborne Div., Special Air Service Regiment, A.A.C.
who died age 26 on 13 July 1943
Remembered with honour CASSINO MEMORIAL

In Memory of Major Gustavus Henry March-Phillipps DSO MBE
39184, Royal Artillery and Commando, Small Scale Raiding Force
who died age 34 on 12 September 1942
Remembered with honour at ST. LAURENT-SUR-MER CHURCHYARD

and also to bear in mind that on Saturday, 27th August 2011, it will be the 32nd anniversary of the death of Lord Louis Mountbatten :

In Memory of Lord Louis Mountbatten, The 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma, who died aged 79 on 27th August 1979, in an explosion in Ireland.

In Memory of one of the Earl's twin grandsons, Nicholas, aged 14, and Paul Maxwell, 15, a local boy and pupil at Portora Royal School, employed as a boat boy, who also died in the explosion on the 27th August 1979, and Lady Brabourne, aged 82, who died the following day.

and finally

In Memory of the 18 soldiers killed only hours later on the 27th August 1979 in two bomb explosions near Warrenpoint

They shall grow not old, as we who are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.

[Thumb - Maj. G.H. March-Phillipps DSO MBE.JPG]
 Filename Maj. G.H. March-Phillipps DSO MBE.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Major Gustavus Henry March-Phillipps DSO MBE
 Filesize 61 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  436 time(s)

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at 27/08/2011 00:36:57

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger