commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Royal Navy Commando badge  XML
Forum Index » Commando Insignia
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

This badge belongs to a Navy Commando who had his jacket cleaned and the badge was ruined. He is quite upset and his grand-daughter would be delighted if she could replace it for him. If anyone owns one, or knows of anyone who owns one, then could they take a picture of it and send it to me so that we can get a copy made. Alternatively, if anyone knows who made these or has one on offer, again please let me know.
Thanks
[Thumb - RN Cdo Badge.jpg]
 Filename RN Cdo Badge.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Royal Navy Commando badge
 Filesize 9 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  596 time(s)

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Geoff,
Have you tried these guys?
http://www.btinternet.com/~keith.oakley/rncommando/rnchome.htm

perhaps you could let them know about the CVA as well

Regards,
Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/10/2007 22:53:06

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Geoff,
Found this! I know it's not identical but it may be useful if a replica is
to be made...

from http://www.navybluememorabilia.co.uk

Cheers,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Rick Smallman
Forum Member
[Avatar]

If you cannot find a suitable replacement, could I suggest an alternative?

There are many places which will make a badge if they have a design. I am able to do computer graphics and would be able to produce such a design.

Photo is a rough idea which took 10 minutes to do. I will work on the one that I have as I need a Commando Badge for another project.
Regards
[Thumb - CO 1.jpg]
 Filename CO 1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Badge
 Filesize 60 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  588 time(s)

[WWW]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi All
I have recently tried to obtain a replica No1 Commando Salamander / flames arm patch without any success. I then decided to have my own made at a local embroidery workshop, the only image that I had at the time was scanned from the front of an official No1 reunion programme. And although it is slightly different from the original patch, which I now have an image of thanks to John Mewitt of this site, it is an accurate copy of the image that I originally provided. It was also very reasonable in that it only cost £3.50 to make, I will attach an enlarged image of this for you to have a look at.

Hope this helps
Andy
[Thumb - J36-scanned salamander.jpg]
 Filename J36-scanned salamander.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 240 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  659 time(s)

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Here is a couple of photos of the original patches with a No 1 Commando flash. These really are very hard to find.

Regards

[Thumb - No 1.jpg]
 Filename No 1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 28 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  610 time(s)

[Thumb - 4518_3.jpg]
 Filename 4518_3.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 108 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  606 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 16/09/2008 22:25:59

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

HI
The images of the two original salamamnder/flames patches are really interesting as there is quite a bit of variation between them in terms of the salamander's shape and configuration of the flames. I have also noticed that the curved "No1 COMMANDO" patch can vary quite a bit, for example another member of this site Kevin O'Mara, who's father was also in No1 has a photo of his father taken while he was in the Commandos set as his avatar. In this photo his curved Commando patch seems to be in either black or some equally dark material, however the curved patch simply contains the word "COMMANDO" with the one being as a small seperate triangular patch sewn to his shoulder strap just above. The oval slalmander patch/emblem can clearly be seen below, if you go to the Combined Operations Memorial site in the sub section titled "They Also Served" you will see that Kevin has had his father's name included along with the afore mentioned photo, if you click on the image you can see an enlarged version of it clearly showing the details I have described above. In the books that I have read and information I have received from the military Heraldry society concerning No1's arm patches I have not actually seen any discriptions that match the patch configuration as depicted in Kevin's father's photo. I have attached scanned images of both Kevin's father and the information sheet that I received from Hubert Long of the Military Heraldry society.
Cheers
Andy
[Thumb - J78-Andrew O'Mara-No1 Commando.jpg]
 Filename J78-Andrew O'Mara-No1 Commando.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 557 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  629 time(s)

[Thumb - J79-Information Sheet provided by Hubert Long of the Military Heraldry Society.jpg]
 Filename J79-Information Sheet provided by Hubert Long of the Military Heraldry Society.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1768 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  772 time(s)

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]

Forum Index » Commando Insignia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger