commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando Enlistment  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
jamesmack1986
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hello Tracy
i googled the unit my grandfather was in and this convo popped up i too am looking forinformation about what my grandad got upto.
Half truths and tall tales were my grandads thing so his war history is unknown.
I know he was a marine i too have his papers H.B.L. 2RM MNBDO - 17TH JUNE 1941 TILL 15TH FEB1942 so i guess that means they served together right?

twatkins80 wrote:Hello, I'm looking for some information about the commando unit my great uncle was enlisted into at Taunton in 1941.
His name was John Alfred (Jack) Watkins and he enlisted at Taunton on 15 March 1941. I have a copy of his service record which gives the following information under 'name of division':-
(2RM.GP.MMBDO 125/LREG. TAUNTON) HBL. Would this be 2 Commando?

According to the service record (which is only 2 pages and has very little information - is this pretty typical of the time?), Jack was made a corporal in Febraury 1945. I know that he cheated death at Salerno, but other than this I know very little. (I have his medals and he has both the Italy and Africa stars). Jack didn't join the veterans association after the war and didn't talk about his wartime experiences. He died in 1991.

Any information to help me with further research would be most appreciated.

Tracey Watkins
pgough3
Forum Member

Hi, My father served in the 2nd MNBDO during WW2. He has sadly passed away but I have some information on what the unit did and places where they served if it is of any help to you?

Regard,

Pete
bowtr
Forum Member
[Avatar]

NIC wrote:other MNBDO Info:

SHIP............Location...................Function

MARTIAL.........Alexandria (Egypt).....MNBDO Depot Ship

MASHOBRA......Narvik (Norway).......MNBDO Base ship

MENACE...........Portsmouth..............MNBDO2 Base Ship

Nick

Hiya,
I know my Grandad Bert was on the Mashobra. I've put a picture of it in the thread with his name (Bert Coote)

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/15/1401.page

My Dad's also got a pair of binoculars that he had while he was on it. Last week when I was visiting my parents, my Dad was telling me how my Grandad was up somewhere near the bridge when some shrapnel for an explosion cut his chinstrap and hit the man next to him, which I think killed him.
I remember watching The World at War as a kid when it was covering the battle for Norway. At one point there was some footage from a circling ship that was taken from a German plane. My Grandad was watching it with me and until that point had said nothing relating to it, but then suddenly remarked 'at about that point I was jumping off it' which surprised me a bit. I think this must have been the Mashobra.
I also know he was off the coast of Egypt as I remember him telling me how they used to swim round the ships in dock for fun and nearly took a bite out of the biggest turd he had ever seen when he was going to take a breath. That pretty much sums him up, he just used to tell me the odd funny thing and snippets of places he had been when talking in passing, which is now helping me piece it all together.
I've just bought a copy of D-Day Commando-From Normandy to the Maas with 48 Commando by Ken Ford and it preety much ties in with everything I knew about his time in the Marines including the MNBDO and visiting South Africa.
It also explains about the Ardennes Offensive as my Dad can remember saying he was pulled into it to bolster support, but until the book, I could find nothing about it.
I think I'm finally getting there and everything is falling into place, such as him having Blondie Hasler as a C.O. when he was with Fortress Unit etc.
There's loads I wish I had asked. I don't want to know about the blood and gore etc. Just to know a bit more.

Ian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/11/2013 02:23:43

[Email]
SeanG
Forum Member

Hello,

My grandad - Harry Burke - was enlisted as a Royal Marine into the 12th Searchlight Regiment at
Taunton on the same day as Tracey's great uncle - 15th March 1941.

I have obtained his service and casualty record (excerpt attached) and would be very grateful for any help in deciphering some of the entries. In particular, I'm having problems with lines 5, 8, 9 and 12. I think line 8 ends with (T/A 125/2) but I have no idea what this means.

Also, does anyone have any information on Naval Party 1502?

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,
Sean.
[Thumb - Henry Burke - Service and Casualty record clipping.jpg]
 Filename Henry Burke - Service and Casualty record clipping.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Harry Burke - service record excerpt
 Filesize 440 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  380 time(s)

GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi Sean
You asked about Naval Party 1502[NP 1502]

NP1502 "formed Prested Hall,Kelvedon - split into Parties A, B, and C before left UK D Day"
to Sword ,Normandy 06.44.

NP1502A former part of 1502.Left UK D Day /Port En Bessin to 31.0.44,then to UK,became NP1748 - Small Port Party Arromanches,10-11,44/reformed as NP 1748 MID 11.44

NP1502B- former NP 1502.Left UK D Day/Nr Courseilles-disbanded 09.44,majority to NP
1732.Small Port Party dispersed 10.44

NP 1502C former part of NP 1502/left UK D Day/some to UK-23 Cres Hill,Beechill.Barnet
07.07.44-disbanded 10.44/rest absorbed into other NPs.Small Port Party
Ouistreham 10.44/reformed as NP 1747 on 11.44

The above information can be confirmed on the Naval-History Net web site under Naval Party.

Trust this may help with your search

Regards
Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger