commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
John 'jack' Austwick - No.2 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Colin Austwick is looking for any information on his father's service with No.2 Commando. I have responded in depth to his enquiry but should anyone else have any knowledge of him or information please post it here. John started his service in the 1st Battalion of the Beds & Herts Territorials on 8th July 1936, moving to No.3 Independent Company in 1940, eventually joining No 2 Commando 5th March 1941, serving with them in Gibraltar and Italy. His service number was 5989253. I believe in Italy John may have been in the MT section of No.2 Commando

Colin can be contacted on the following email address: [email protected]
[Thumb - John by lorry in Italy WW2.jpg]
 Filename John by lorry in Italy WW2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 277 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  356 time(s)

[Thumb - John Austwick with Commando Troup.jpg]
 Filename John Austwick with Commando Troup.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description John has the x marked above him
 Filesize 1049 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  415 time(s)

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at 05/04/2013 18:23:28

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

John has sent me a post war photo of his father John 'jack' Austwick of No.2 Commando taken at Butlins which I attach here. He has also sent a sketch portrait of his father dated 23/8/44. Colin mentions the following
Dad never ever talked, in my hearing, about what he did in the war..... I have to say that I was surprised to find that he was in the Commandos, since he was alway very thin and wiry, not the perceived vision of a strong, muscular member of the Commandos. Plus the fact that he was my Dad:-).

Colin has also pointed out some photos of No.2 Commando Veterans we already have. I must say I missed this one with Charlie Newman VC, Jack Churchill DSO MC, Bill Copland DSO, Tan Rudge DCM, Fred and Ernie Mather, and so many others including Colin's father John Austwick

[Thumb - John'jack' Austwick No.2 Cdo.jpg]
 Filename John'jack' Austwick No.2 Cdo.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  343 time(s)

[Thumb - Dads Reunion 72ppi austwick.jpg]
 Filename Dads Reunion 72ppi austwick.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description No.2 Commando reunion
 Filesize 337 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  351 time(s)

[Thumb - j austwick.jpg]
 Filename j austwick.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description L/Cpl John Austwick
 Filesize 124 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  354 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 20/05/2010 08:14:13

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Colin has asked me to identify where some of the people are in the Veterans photo..so I have created a numbered version with the few that I can spot. (Please correct me if you think I am wrong or you know others). The numbered photo can be seen here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/2+Cdo+vets/2cdo+vets/Dads+Reunion+72ppi+austwick+copy.jpg.html

As regards the troop photo above believed possibly the MT section HQ troop, sadly I don't recognise any of his father's fellow Commandos but I am making enqs.

[Email]
Trevor Mather
Forum Member

Showed the picture to my Uncle Fred Mather, and he seems to think that the guy with his foot on the truck is Ron Crippen, the RQMS of 2 Commando.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Trevor

Thanks again to Fred for this info. I have updated the picture and emailed Colin

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/06/2010 19:31:11

[Email]
Colin Austwick
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Trevor

Thanks for the info, and thank your Uncle for me.
The photo is not the best quality, so I'm gratefull for any info about it.
Does your Uncle have any idea where it might have been taken? I was told that Dad served in Italy and have assumed it was there.

Thanks again
Colin
Colin Austwick
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete

Thanks for the heads-up on this message and for all your assistance off-line.

Colin
Trevor Mather
Forum Member

Hi Colin,
I will ask Fred on my next visit and try and get some info for you.
cheers,
Trevor

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger