commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Fort William  XML
Forum Index » Association Events
lushershouse
Forum Member

hello everyone,hope you`re all well,it`s not long till Fort William,we`re looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Babysitter sorted(nanny),room booked,travelodges booked,holiday from work is booked,directions printed....we`re ready for the "off".

If you`re booked in "The Alex",we look forward to meeting you there!!

See you all soon,take care xx Denise and Nick xx
Stephen Unwin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My wife and I are also hoping to get there, WD40 and polishing cloth ready to give my Dads plaques its annual weather proofing.

Before my brother emigrated to the USA in 2005 we journeyed on a family pilgrimage to Spean Bridge to enable my brother to say goodbye.

The place is awe inspiring in its beauty and yet so moving. I always feel close to my father when I stand in the memorial garden and am moved to tears.

As a family we undertook the commando speed march, in slow time! three brothers and our sister. The Lochiel of Cameron was gracious enough to give us his support but was called away at the last minute. He later called me personally tp apologise.

This year I intend doing it again, I'm 50 so won't be aiming for under an hour! more like under two hours! If any of the descendants wants to accompany me I would be more than honoured to have you walk with me.

'To the skirl of pipes and in Green Beret, the men from Achnacarry led the way'
[MSN]
lushershouse
Forum Member

hello Steve,I will pass the message on to my two brothers,they are`nt internet connected,I`m sure they`ll be up for the challenge!! Me,I`ll keep the seats warm in the hotel!! Have PM`d you,take care xx Denise and Nick
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

We found this article in the recent 'Lochaber News'. It truly indicates the esteem the residents of the area have for the Commandos:

Snow raises Ben's height - but not for long
Published: 22 September, 2007
GEY Dreich! Ben Nevis had two inches added to its stature at the weekend, as a result of a snap snowfall.

However, not long after the Ben had reached new heights, the rains came down, and it reverted to its acknowledged 4,406 feet.

THE precipitation certainly made its presence felt on Tuesday evening. We were heading out the Inverness road at 7.30pm when the rains and darkness fell simultaneously.

The floodlight Commando Memorial came into view. As did a black bereted, black coated gentleman who, oblivious to the elements, was standing to attention beside it - and saluting, in turn, each of the Commando figures.

That made for a very moving experience as we drove by.

See you all soon,

Janet & Bob

geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Hi Steve, 2005 was the last time I did the Commando March, so we were probably alongside each other at some point. Our Commando Loggie team were 2nd in 2004 and 2005. I'm going to attempt to rally a team together next year and run it for the CVA, will hopefully give us a cracking media/recruiting opportunity both national/local papers and within the Commando Brigade.
I considered adding this to the AGM weekend itinerary...Saturday morning sponsored Speed March for the Commando Benevolent Fund. Will raise it at the AGM this year.(Poss do a dry run).

Look forward to seeing you all up there.

Kind regards from Afghanistan

Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Well,Im all booked for the Alexandra Hotel! My brother Roy and I will be there by friday. My son in law Daren is driving us up there. He knows the area well and loves climbing the hills around there so hes taking a tent and camping out where he can . In November? he must be mad. Think we will be heading home by sunday afternoon. Its going to be fantastic and cant wait to see you all . Got to buy a new blazer for my badge

SE Donnison
[MSN]
lushershouse
Forum Member

hello Steven,you`re in The Alex then,it`s a lovely place.I`ll look for you on Friday then matey,safe journey to you and your own,take care,Denise xx
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hey the Alex looks very nice Very Scottish
The menu looks yummyGonna try the Highland Venison!

SE Donnison
[MSN]
lushershouse
Forum Member

) aarrgghh did you not watch Bambi ???!! Nick has the venison when we go,i`ll stick to me good ole beef...am looking forward to my clootie dumpling tho`!!! See you soon,take care xx Denise xx
Stephen Unwin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My Wife and I will be bringing my Fathers younger brother (My Uncle) with us, as he has expressed a wish to see the memorial and my Dads plaque. He feels this will be his one & only chance to do this due to his deteriorating health and personal mobility.

We are travelling up on Friday and returning south on Monday, just waiting for the hotel to get back with confirmation. Otherwise its the Premier Inn!

Premier Inn it is, no hotel rooms within 10 miles!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 03/10/2007 23:54:34

[MSN]
lushershouse
Forum Member

) where is this commando march trail...is it private property or can anyone access it...curiosity has the better of me,would have to do it as a merry stroll tho`!!thanks Denise xx
lushershouse
Forum Member

Geoff,if you`re out there,do you want some raffle prizes ?? laters dude!! take care xx Denise

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/10/2007 11:27:19

Stephen Unwin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

lushershouse wrote: ) where is this commando march trail...is it private property or can anyone access it...curiosity has the better of me,would have to do it as a merry stroll tho`!!thanks Denise xx

Denise,

start point is the platform of Spean Bridge railway station 7 miles later the finish point is the gates to Achnacarry House, the first hill up to the Commando Memorial is a killer. Its downhill nearly all the way to the canal then its a series of long up hills and flat sections the last 1/2 mile is gently down hill. It hurts!

Within our family we produced a certificate, quite tasteful and in keeping with the memory of our Dad, for those who complete Commando Speed March, as we arn't spring chickens times under 2 hours are acceptable. My brother who is a disabled ex matelot did it in 1hr 55mins. He pushed himself to his absolute limits to achieve this. My other brother and sister could have finished in under 1hour 30 mins but we would not leave him behind and insisted we all finshed together

The commando trail is actually the Commando Dark Mile, leaflet map and route available from the Clan Cameron Museum (Its actuallyfive miles but don't tell anyone!)

[Thumb - 2005_0605Commando0202a.jpg]
 Filename 2005_0605Commando0202a.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description We salute our father
 Filesize 163 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  627 time(s)

[Thumb - 2005_0605Commando0183.JPG]
 Filename 2005_0605Commando0183.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description The end, we had a wee dram just after this! L-R Me Linda, Colin, Andrew
 Filesize 465 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  540 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 06/10/2007 18:58:04

[MSN]
Stephen Unwin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

On the Friday night, (9th November) we will be arriving between 1700 - 1900 depending on traffic. Where will everyone be meeting up that night?

If its the bar in the Alex then no probelm, After driving all that way I just don't want to miss out on the PU!

[MSN]
lushershouse
Forum Member

You`ll find everyone you need in the Alex.The peeps staying at the Ben come up at some point,you`re never short of company!!

thanks for the info,am gonna google commando dark mile and see what I can get to download,thanks again,see you soon,take care xx Denise

Forum Index » Association Events
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger