commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Internet Auction Of Outstanding Commando Militaria Belonging to Major Callf of 9 Commando.  XML
Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

I have just been sent this link by Jean Baptiste Brekelmans, who is a keen collector of WWII British special forces militaria and has uploaded images of badges that he has obtained on to the CVA gallery. In his message he states that the reserve price for this lot is £13,250, the link has some very good images of Major Callf's belongings, including his medals (MC), numerous photos, maps, documents and what looks to be a typed history of this unit, I assume written by the Major himself. Amongst the documents is a nominal roll for the whole of 9 Cdo containing Army numbers and the parent regiments for each individual.
Just wish I had £13,250 it would make an absolutely amazing contribution to the CVA archive, looking at these things makes me quite sad, it really is a group of objects that should be in a museum. I wonder if it would be possible to contact the person with the winning bid to see if there would be any possibility of making copies of the documents?

http://www.cultmancollectables.com/militaria-medals/military-cross-and-bar-gallantry-group-major-callf-9-commando-1.html

Cheers Andy

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 14/03/2010 12:20:57

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

oh my word what a collection!

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Doug
Forum Member

A great collection. As you say it should be in a museum or reference library. Major Callf served with 5 troop, 9 commando and there are several photographs posted on this site of the major with memebers of 5 troop.

Co-incidentally there is an autograph of the actor Jimmy Hanley available for purchase on E-Bay and it is the same signature as shown on the reverse of the photograph on the cultmancollectables web site. The signature is between the 9 and C of "9 COM" that is blue hi-lited. Does anyone have additional details of Jimmy Hanley's service in Special Forces ?

Doug
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

ive just checked up on Jimmy ,He was in the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and was wounded in a commando raid in Norway. He was invalided out in 1942. Well I never I would often see him in films and on tv when iwas a kid .Wasnt he in Crossroads for a while ?

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Doug
Forum Member

Thanks for the info. Do you know which commando Jimmy served in. I believe that he had his own TV show. I recall that he was the young policeman in the movie The Blue Lamp and was shot by Dirk Bogarde's character outside of an old movie theatre in Harrow Road, Paddington. The movie was the forerunner of Dixon of Dock Green.

My dad met him at the commando re-unions and I've always wondered about the connection. The signatures that I referred to in my earlier e-mail look as if they were collected at a re-union but I can't read the notation in the bottom right hand corner. Any thoughts ?

Doug
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Doug, Jimmy Hanley was in No.9 Commando I believe 5 troop

Check out the link below about two thirds of the way down in one of the transcripts of a chat with Ronald Young. Ron said " Another good 9 Cdo. friend of Eddie's was Jimmy Hanley who was an actor and starred in films such as The Blue Lamp."

Ron also said that at reunions after the war Jimmy would always turn up in a dapper suit and be the best dressed of them all

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/1093.page

Also one of the troop photos Ron provided, through his carers, is below. I am not certain but the Commando standing behind the kneeling Sgt at the right of the photo could be Jimmy Hanley

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/9/Troop+photo+9+Cdo.jpg.html

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 11/08/2015 22:27:39

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Stephen, This collection has been on the market for some time now. I recall sending an email to Geoff about it some months back. If you look closely some of the documents and photos are already in the public domain and on our site. Copies were obviously given out at reunions. As to who took the photos I don't suppose we will ever know. He was in charge of 5 troop No. 9 Cdo for a time and this ties in with the photos and information supplied by Ron Young who was also in 5 troop. Ron names those in one of the photos. Check out the boxing medal on the collection shown " A winners medal light-heavyweight boxing - 6 Commando V?s 9 Commando (hallmarked silver)."
If you look in our gallery under nominal rolls we actually have the score card of that match with his and others details on provided by Karen Sleith, whose grandfather Pte Sleith not only fought alongside the then Lieut Callf in battle but also in the boxing ring. It should be noted that they both won their matches
http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/documents/Boxing+score+sheet.jpg.html

If it is still unsold I'll write to them and plead for a copy of the nominal roll mentioned

Pete (forever the optimist)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 11/08/2015 22:28:58

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete

I have just sent a message to Cultman enquiring in to the possibilty of contacting the future owner of this collection in order to request if it would be possible to have copies made of the photos and documents that it contains.

Cheers Andy (also an optimist!)

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Doug
Forum Member

Hi Andy,

The maps too. if Major Callf marked the maps with co-ordinates for the action on March 3, 1944 it could be an invaluable tool. The area around Anzio is much changed since 1944 and most of the ravines (wadis ) have been filled. It is possible to overlay the Littoria 1:100,000 map with a current GoogleEarth satellite map but the co-ordinates given on the War Diary reports for 9 commando and the Royal Fusiliers do not match so it is difficult to interpret the exact sequence of events. Callf's Anzio map could clear up the confusion.

Doug
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

Good news, I have just received an email back from Graham Baldwin who along with his son are the joint owners of cultman collectables. He has stated that "I am sure that we will be able to help you with this, give me a call in about three weeks and I should have some news for you". Graham has even provided two phone numbers for me to actually give him a call, so in about three weeks time I will most certainly be taking him up on this offer.

Watch this space, cheers Andy.

Ps when I do call him I shall ask about the maps.

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

great news Andy Your a star

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Ted Land
Forum Member

Here is another great collection belonging to Lt Col Keyes VC
http://www.falleneagle.com/viewspecial.php?id=91020

Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger