commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
History of Commando Green Beret and Insignia?  XML
Forum Index » Commando Insignia
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Paul

Thanks for this document. It is now in the gallery :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+Badges+and+Memorabilia/green+beret/

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Pete

There's more to come, I just need to get my head round the docs, I spent 3 days at the NA a few weeks ago. I also made an exciting discovery about backing beret badges. It was mooted that each commando would have its own unique coloured patch to be worn on the green beret... I'd never heard of that before?

Watch this space!!

cheers
Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Paul,
Belly wrote:Thanks Pete

I also made an exciting discovery about backing beret badges. It was mooted that each commando would have its own unique coloured patch to be worn on the green beret...

my father was in Kings Royal Rifle Corps and their cap badge (in WWII) was a black 'Maltese' cross mounted on a scarlet backing - which I believe was a Battle Honour. I often thought the red backing would be a little too obvious on the Green Beret so I asked my late father's No5 Cdo pal who was also KRRC if they'd worn the red Battle Honour behind their badge on the Green Beret. He told me they did.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+Badges+and+Memorabilia/green+beret/green+beret+018.jpg.html

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Nick

Interestingly 5 Cdo don't appear on the list I have dated May 1942 detailing the colours. I'd not noticed that before! I wonder if it was because they'd left for Madagascar and the far east?

I'll hopefully post the full story in the next couple of days

cheers
Paul

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/04/2012 00:11:31

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
JB
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nick,
The red backing was indeed attributed to KRRC and as most commandos wore the cap badge of their parent regiment for which they were on loan the backing came with it. Of course 2 cdo adopted its own badge with black backing. Dutch and Belgian troops of No 10 I-A cdo also wore a black backing behind their national lion badge.

Cheers
JB

Hi Paul,
Belly wrote:Thanks Pete

I also made an exciting discovery about backing beret badges. It was mooted that each commando would have its own unique coloured patch to be worn on the green beret...

NIC wrote:my father was in Kings Royal Rifle Corps and their cap badge (in WWII) was a black 'Maltese' cross mounted on a scarlet backing - which I believe was a Battle Honour. I often thought the red backing would be a little too obvious on the Green Beret so I asked my late father's No5 Cdo pal who was also KRRC if they'd worn the red Battle Honour behind their badge on the Green Beret. He told me they did.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+Badges+and+Memorabilia/green+beret/green+beret+018.jpg.html

Nick

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 18/04/2012 13:10:12

Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi JB

What I've discovered isn't the individual traditions of the each commando that are reasonably well documented, but a plan that when the beret was introduced each commando would be allocated a unique colour to wear behind its regimental badge (whatever that may be). The colours were chosen, the cloth was even ordered, but for some reason (which I've not been able to find out) they changed their minds and it was never implemented. All the coloured cloths were sent back to central stores and were subsequently cut up to make arms of service stripes for the regular army.

2 and 6 Commando were given special dispensation to continue to wear their specific badges as opposed to their parent regiment badges and 9 Commando was permitted to continue to wear the black hackle

Cheers
Paul

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/04/2012 10:14:35

[WWW]
JB
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Paul,

All very interesting. There is still so much unkown. I had not heard of that. Thanks for sharing. I believe the cdo,s part of Scottish parent regiments were proud to continue to wear their tartan cloth backings. Cheers, JB

Belly wrote:Hi JB

What I've discovered isn't the individual traditions of the each commando that are reasonably well documented, but a plan that when the beret was introduced each commando would be allocated a unique colour to wear behind its regimental badge (whatever that may be). The colours were chosen, the cloth was even ordered, but for some reason (which I've not been able to find out) they changed their minds and it was never implemented. All the coloured cloths were sent back to central stores and were subsequently cut up to make arms of service stripes for the regular army.

2 and 6 Commando were given special dispensation to continue to wear their specific badges as opposed to their parent regiment badges and 9 Commando was permitted to continue to wear the black hackle

Cheers
Paul

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 18/04/2012 11:26:05

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Paul,
Belly wrote:

...but a plan that when the beret was introduced each commando would be allocated a unique colour to wear behind its regimental badge (whatever that may be). The colours were chosen, the cloth was even ordered, but for some reason (which I've not been able to find out) they changed their minds and it was never implemented.

It could be for the very reason that some Regts & Corps (such as the KRRC) wore Battle Honours as an integral part of their cap badge - introduce a different colour behind such badges and it would be a slight on those Regts & Corps proud histories.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Here you go folks, they've up loaded in reverse order so you need to read them bottom up
[Thumb - IMG_2370.JPG]
 Filename IMG_2370.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 158 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  446 time(s)

[Thumb - IMG_2369.JPG]
 Filename IMG_2369.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 170 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  478 time(s)

[Thumb - IMG_2368.JPG]
 Filename IMG_2368.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 142 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  443 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/04/2012 08:46:15

[WWW]
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The document posted on 17 April concerning the introduction of the green beret is dated 13 October 1942. In the Photo gallery of No 4 Commando there is a photo taken in Troon, dated September 1942. On it the Other Ranks are wearing a beret. This means that the beret was already there, but the document I mentioned earlier was not. What was the reason for this? Red tape or is the date on the photo in Troon not the right one?
JB
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Jack,

My explanation is that army is always late in tidying up matters. I have seen this also with ww2 badges and sealed patterns. I have a 1942 dated green beret made by Kangol with O WD inspection mark for 1942 but months are not tracable.

In contrast the sand/beige beret of the SAS has never been officially approved in ww2. Sas were then forced in 1944 when becoming part of the AAC to wear the maroon beret although the old hands seemed to ignore it especially under the approval of Paddy Maine.

Cheers
JB

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/04/2012 08:29:52

JB
Forum Member
[Avatar]

What a great find Paul, fantastic! Would the deep crimson of No 1 cdo have been inspired on the Salamander patch that has this colour in it?

The green colour of the beret is also said to be inspired on the colours of the Salamander patch. Cheers JB

Belly wrote:Here you go folks, they've up loaded in reverse order so you need to read them bottom up

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/04/2012 08:28:32

Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I think you're absolutely right JB, the army seemed to do what it wanted then sought permission later. With regards to the green beret the contract demand was issued 27 June for 10,000 berets, the order was amended in July to ensure delivery of 4,100 in July and 4,900 in August 42. It wasn't until 26 September that they sent a sample to the King for his approval! The King duly approved it on 28 September, which is just as well, as Kangol were charging 3 Shillings each and were producing them at the rate of 250 per week.

Cheers
Paul

[WWW]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Jack

The date in September 1942 is correct my Mum wrote it on the back of the photo. That is when other ranks got there beret. The officers did not get their beret till a later date. It is taken in Barassie Street School playground in Troon. A troop photo was taken the same date and that is the photo you will see on the left. They also had a letter from the King read to them that day. It was after No4's success at Dieppe 19 August 1942.
Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I am getting a bit confused about the date that the green beret was first introduced and worn. It is said that No 1 Commando wore the green beret when they took part in Operation Torch. This operation took place on the 8th of November 1942. In the gallery there is now a photo (see the link) of men of No 1 Commando dated the 18th of November 1942. They are not wearing a beret. :?: :?:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/main.php?g2_view=dynamicalbum.UpdatesAlbum&g2_itemId=25057

Forum Index » Commando Insignia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger