commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
3317888 James S.Gillon  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
[email protected]
Forum Member

James Gillon was attached to the commandos and served in Norway and France from the Shetlands. Unit not known

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/04/2013 17:59:28

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

I don't know if you are aware of the fact, but you can apply for a copy of your father's Army service records, the process is quite straight forward and only costs £30. There are only two application forms to be filled in, both of which I have copies of, if you are interested in carrying out your own application then send me an eamil address and I will send you copies of these two forms. However to actually carry out an application of your own you would have to contact the Historical Disclosures Section of the Army Personnel Centre in Glasgow, who will send you your own forms containing your dads name and case ref No. My copies will at least allow you to get a precise idea of the info that you would have to provide for the application. You are warned that the process can take up to six months, although my application only took about 3 weeks, the info that you can receive can vary quite a bit, in my case it took the form of photo copies of my fathers original documents including his medical, Attestation forms and particularly Army form B200B (see Attached) which stated all the units that he served in ie the forrunners of the Commandos the independent Compnanies (No9 and 11), Special Service Battalion (No 1) and finally No1 Commando.

If you are intersted in carrying out your own application let me know.

Cheers Andy
[Thumb - Z400-Top left of form B220B.jpg]
 Filename Z400-Top left of form B220B.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 252 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  359 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/11/2009 02:12:55

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

From his service number it suggests that his parent unit was The Highland Infantry

Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger