commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Cpl Bob Potthast, No 3 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Bob's daughter
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi there
My Father, Bob Potthast was in no3 Commando. I found your website through relatives of Harold Hughes who got in touch after getting my Dads name from an MT list dated 5th May 44.
Sadly Dad passed away on 4th January 2007 aged 84. Its is only now that I am beginning to appreciate the enormity of what these brave men did. I am now really interested in learning as much as possible about no 3 Commando and my Dad' experiences. I have already found lots of info from this website.
My son Paul delivered a very moving eulogy at Dads funeral. It transpired that Dad had spent many an evening recounting some of his more amusing experiences to Paul! Some of which should not be repeated!
I have scoured the photos on here looking for Dad as a young man. This photo is one of a few now in my brother's possession. I would love to upload them to the site but am unsure where they should go. Any advice and help will be gratefully received!
regards to all
Anne Nelson

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/04/2013 17:46:37

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Anne

And a very warm welcome to the CVA, this and any other photos that you have can be uploaded on to the gallery where there is a section for WWII Commandos. Within this is a subsection for each Army and Royal Marine Commando unit, if you are unsure how to do this, I or others on this site would be only too happy to do this on your behalf. You would of course be credited as the owner of each image that is uploaded.
Are you also aware that you can apply for a copy of your father's Army Records, this is a fairly straight forward procedure and only costs £30. The results can vary quite considerably, some people have received very little, others (like myself) however have received some very informative copies of original documents.
The contact details for the Army Personnel Centre (Historical Dislosures Section) can be found in the "Tips On Research" section of the Forum. Or if you wish I could email you copies of the relevant application forms (there are only two) plus contact address, however to apply for your father's records you would need to contact the the Army Personnel centre yourself, who will then send you your own forms containing your father's name and case Ref No. My copies would at least give you an idea of the type of details / info that you would need to obtain to fill in the two forms.
If you would like me to send you the afore mentioned forms, then send me a PM containing your email address and I will take care of the rest.

Good Luck Andy

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 26/10/2009 21:41:53

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Nick Birkinshaw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Anne

I got an email from your sister Trudie recently with a couple of pictures - The resolution/quality is not great when you zoom in but one is of 3Cdo 6 troop (with a couple of names on the reverse) which is nice as there don?t seem to be many of those about - the other is from Italy/Sicily (??). I forwarded one to Judi Kemp and she thinks that her dad Mike Scovell is on the back row 4 in (the taller guy) of the Italy pic. I can put these on the forum if you are happy for me to do that?

I shall be putting the MT list you refer to on the forum later today.

As you know I?m researching MT at the moment and have made various enquiries and will let you know if I find out anything specifically about your Dad.

All the best

Nick

Nick

Grandson of Harold W. Hughes 3Cdo
Bob's daughter
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nick
yes I was talking to Trudie, she lives in Australia now, and she said she had sent them but the quality is poor. She is going to try to have them scanned at higher resolution. Hopefully that will make them clearer. I have sent that one and a copyof the writing on the back and they should be in the gallery soon. My brother has also got some originals and I will get them on his return from France in a couple of weeks.
Hopefully more activity on here will bring more information.
Dad trained in Largs, where he met and married my Mum. He was originally with the Middlesex regiment I believe, before transferring to no3 commando.There must be lots of families which started that way! :D
Regards
Anne
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello ANNE

I met your father in FORT WILLIAM in November 2006. He was there with BOB CUBBITT 3 cdo 2 Troop. Both come from Middlesex regt, and were involved in Dieppe raid, Italy, D.Day etc...
I've sent to your father christmas card for 2007, but unfortunately, I received the sad news than he died in january.
sincerely

stéphane
Bob's daughter
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Stephane
Thanks for your story, Dad used to love to go each year to the Remembrance service. He used to meet up with Bob there.
Regards
Anne
Bob's daughter
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello again
I have just found the name of my Dad's best man on another heading. Taffy Hawcutt.
[Thumb - a smiling corporal.jpg]
 Filename a smiling corporal.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Cpl Bob Potthast
 Filesize 56 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  367 time(s)

[Thumb - Picture 8.jpg]
 Filename Picture 8.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Cpl Bob Potthast no3 Commando, best man Taffy Hawcutt.
 Filesize 660 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  366 time(s)

steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello ANNE

Find enclose photos taken in ALEXANDRA Hotel, in November 2006.
With your father and BOB.
Sincerely

stéphane
 Filename NOV 2006 ecosse 103.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 993 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  2 time(s)

Filename NOV 2006 ecosse 102.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 539 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1 time(s)

Filename NOV 2006 ecosse 106.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 463 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Anne's photos, and these photos posted above by Stephane (which did not display for some reason), have now been placed in the 3 Cdo gallery. Once again great photos from Stephane

I have created a sub album for Bob Potthast. It is on this link to page 2 of the 3 Cdo Gallery:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/Bob+Potthast/

I have put the two remaining photos of the two Bob's in the veterans sub album in the 3 Cdo gallery on this link :
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/3+Commando+post+war/?g2_page=2

Regards
[Thumb - NOV 2006 Alexander Hotel Bob Potthast.jpg]
 Filename NOV 2006 Alexander Hotel Bob Potthast.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 993 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  352 time(s)

[Thumb - NOV 2006 FW Bob Potthast Bob cubbitt stephane.jpg]
 Filename NOV 2006 FW Bob Potthast Bob cubbitt stephane.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 539 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  376 time(s)

[Thumb - NOV 2006 ecosse Bob Potthast Bob Cubitt.jpg]
 Filename NOV 2006 ecosse Bob Potthast Bob Cubitt.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 463 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  360 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 19/02/2012 19:25:33

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger