commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Group Photo of the whole of No1 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks for that, glad to see that your fathers name and number have now been included. I am hoping Idris Jones will be able to come up with a few more, I think that I know his position (134) I just need to confirm this. I know John Mewett has got a few names to add, also we can of course include the CO's name Lt Col K.R.S. Trevor (329).

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Andy

What a great job you've made of the photo.....its a brilliant record.

Have you got the names I sent you originally?

A few more.

324 Lt Garner -Jones MC

321 Major Cowap MC

389 Sgt. John Huntingdon

Se you soon

Regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Philip Bacon
Forum Member

Hi
My father is no 465 Albert William BACON
My uncle is no 1 James CASBOLT.
Philip
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

I have now updated the photo with all of the names provided by Geoff, John and Philip, these will be officially updated by Pete ie removed from the comments box to the actual photo title.
John you forgot your dads number, which I believe is 12, so I took the liberty of including this, also in one of your previous messages did you mention the position of the person who had the original photo from which you had your copy made, was this Harry Winch?

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi John

I have now found the email containing your father's and Harry Winch's coordinates also have the position for Arthur "Happy"Jackson.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

I have just received a package of photos back from Idris Jones, who has kindly taken a great deal of time to put names to some of the faces in this photo which I will both list here and use to update the photo in the gallery. There is a slight difference of opinion as to the identity of Henry Brown, Geoff thought that it might be 379, however Idris has identified him as 343. Having re-examined the photo I think that 343 is indeed Henry Brown, this particular person seems to have a badge on his forearm, similar to other photos that contain known photos of HB, I would be interested to have any other opinions on this.
Idris wrote a note at the side of the names that he has identified:

"There may be errors in some of the names and identities but they are as near as I can remember, many of the faces are still familiar but no name"

The following names / numbers were recently identified by Idris Jones (5 Troop).

88 Carrot.
89 Hunt.
85 Irving MM
132 O'Neil.
133 Cpl Bate (sigs)
134 Idris Jones (37).
135 Jones (16) Com Clerk.
136 Name? Medical Corp.
140 Smith (Sigs).
145 Lewis.
163 J. Salter.
190 S. Burden.
302 Sgt Downey MM.
304 Sgt Lander.
311 Name? RSM.....
322 Lt G. Scaramanga-CO of the St Vaast raiding party-Operation Deepcut Sep 1941.
327 Cpt Davies.
328 Major Ken Trevor.
329 LtCol Tom Trevor.
343 Henry Brown.
348 Sgt Ewing.
349 Sgt Sigs Fernie.
350 Sgt Massey.
352 Sgt Jones (17)
386 Sgt R. Goodlass.
405 Jones (36)
468 Felmingham

The number at the end of a name refers to the last two digits of that persons Army number, Idris stated that this was how each person was generally known ie their surname followed by the last two digits of their Army No. This can clearly be seen in the nominal roll for 5 Troop which was uploaded by John Mewett, my fathers name appears in this list ie Mains 33, however as is quite common it has been slightly mispelt and should be Maines.
Idris has also put names to faces in some other photos of his that I have previously uploaded in to the gallery on his behalf and I will update these in due course.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Andy

Excellent information from Idris. I have updated the photo accordingly. There is a query I have regarding 328 and 329 identified as Lt. Col. Ken Trevor and Major Tom Trevor. 329 is currently shown as Ken Trevor yet Idris shows him as Tom. Before changing it can yourself and others view the picture to confirm. I agree with 343 being Henry Brown by the way.

One of the men identified was John Joseph Downey MM. See this link to an entry I have made in the album:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/Sgt+John+Joseph+Downey+MM+1+Cdo.jpg.html

Another was Fusilier William Irving MM. See this link to an entry I have made in the album:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/william+irving+mm+1+cdo.jpg.html

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 04/12/2009 11:57:04

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I believe 328 is Lt Col Ken Trevor, therefore 329 is Tom.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

Thanks Pete for updating the photo in the gallery, the ID's of the two Trevors is quite a conundrum, I have compared the two faces to the photo of Ken Trevor in the No1 Gallery but still can not make my mind up as to which one is which. However I think that the person with the number 329 is most likely the Commanding Officer, the reason being (and this is not a very scientific reason) that this person is graphically in the centre of the group especially in relation to the photos title. In my opinion when viewed from this perspective 328 just dosen't look right for someone who is the CO. So for me 329 is the position of the CO, I am just not sure which one of the Trevor cousins was in Command at the time that this photo was taken.
Of course I could be wrong about this, so if any one else has any ideas please feel free to chip in.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Npteggchaser
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Just to let you know Andy that no; 83 is my grandfather , Thomas Hall and next to him is his friend , no; 84 , Percy Spires . I've been away from this site for much too long , but my interest has been rekindled by my son , who has done a project just before Remembrance Day , where he got so involved in his great grandfathers past in the Commandos , that he took all the artifacts we had [ medals/letters/Japanese compass/mags etc.] into school , where he was commended on the work he had produced not only by his teacher and headteacher , but also by veterans that were there to commerate Armistice Day .
The photo in question on your website of 1 Commando at Winchester Barracks , was one that my mother had a long time ago , but was in such bad condition unfortunately from being rolled up , it was hard to make people out , she remembers that she attended that day when she was 3 years old , so I was hoping , would it possible for me to purchase this item off you , for a Christmas present for her and would it arrive in time . Best wishes to all on here for the festive period and apologies to those people who I didn't reply to last year who took the time to assist myself in looking for as much information as I could gleen about my grandfathers Army Commandos days .

Regards ,
Darren Little[ Npteggchaser ].

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/01/2010 19:25:07

Grandson of Thomas Hall [No1 Cdo] from Cwmbran
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Darren

I have sent you a private message regarding this matter, I or someone else on this site will update the numbered photo in the gallery for you.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Npteggchaser
Forum Member
[Avatar]

You've got a PM Andy , sorry it's been delayed , had lost internet connection for over a week .
Cheers ,
Npteggchaser .

Grandson of Thomas Hall [No1 Cdo] from Cwmbran
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

234 is Richard Hawkins from his son David Hawkins. Photo updated.

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

165 is Ernest William Poyntz, who passed away very recently.

I have also updated details of 14 names already on list.

Regards

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/01/2010 22:53:08

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Very sad news, I notice that he was one of the names identified by Idris in two of the photos that I enlarged and printed out during my recent visit with him.

Andy.

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger