commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: p.bullock
Forum Index » Profile for p.bullock » Messages posted by p.bullock
Thanks for this... this would have been a Tice organising Commando or SOE raids in January 1944. I discovered a ref to him in the National Archives but haven't been able to go and search it yet.
Thanks for your interest. The reference is a simple note scribbled in a hymn book my father had.. ?S Mission John Tice 3 Jan 1944?. that's all. We know he returned wounded a month later.

My fathers service record stops dead as soon as he gets back from Commando training in 1941 and only has his discharge in 1945 after that. I believe records were not kept for them given the risks of having lists .. ( even nominal roles of commando's weren't kept formally. Thus number 4 commando was made up after the events by James Dunning, official historian of 4 Commando )
thanks again
Paul
My father (1100653) took part in the Norway raid 1941. He ended up in no 3 Commando, and earlier in training in1941 first went to number 8 Special Service Unit/Group/ , He was trained at STS26 in Scotland.

Much later he was wounded in a raid on an oil facility in January 1944 ( a 'special job' for a Commander Tice) . He and his mates were retrieved by submarine. If anyone can trace this I should be grateful.

He was based in the Artillery at Watford, (nominally 3rd Reserve Medium/ Heavy Regiment RA), and acted as Batman/driver to Major/Colonel HW Abbey. He played cricket for the Grimsdell 11 (on the Hertfordshire Ground) along with Captain Hide, when off duty.

If anyone has any related information then i should be delighted to know. My father refused to speak of it. He was discharged 16 Jan 1945 wounded with 'exemplary conduct' on the card.

Forum Index » Profile for p.bullock » Messages posted by p.bullock
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger