commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: John M
Forum Index » Profile for John M » Messages posted by John M
Hello Again Colin

Among todays Army Commando Units are 59 Cdo (Royal Engineers) 29 Cdo (Royal Artilliary) and Cdo Logistics Regt. These all are a part of 3 Cdo Brigade.

6Cdo like all other Army Cdo units in WW2 ceased to exist after disbandment.

As far as I can make out 101 Troop morphed into the Early SBS (Special Boat Section) and this as you know is still in operation today.

Many detachments of men from all of the WW2 Cdo units were used in all sorts of new ideas as they formed new ways of taking thew war to the enemy. All of todays 'Elite Units' SBS SAS the Paras etc owe thier heritage to these first Commando units of the second world war.

From a military sense this heritage as become historically very important.

I am pleased to help in your research but please double check all this and any corrections or mistakes that any one can add to this discussion please do so.

Best regards
John M

Hi Colin
Welcome to the forums. Please see the features page on this site for the Green Beret answer.
The Tam O'shanter I believe was unique to number 6Cdo.

The arm flashes changed over time each unit evolving slightly differently read 'Allied Special Forces Insignia' by Peter Taylor.

The Army Commandos units individuals wore their original Regt Badge on the Beret.

The Original Commandos were Army Commando Units formed from the Independent Companies in 1940 the first RM Commando No 40 was formed 1942. WW2 Army Cdo units were disbanded in 1945/6 the RM commandos units continued. Both Army Cdo and RM Cdo units are operating today.

Combined Operations was a 'Command' as in 'South East Asia Command'

'Bomber Command' RAF etc.

Hope this is useful .........anybody got any corrections etc .....feel free.

Regards
John m
Dear sir/madam

I wonder if you can help me i'm trying to trace my grandfathers miltary service during WWII. I know his parent regiment and that he became a commando serving in the far east.

I'm looking for his service record, and any photos that maybe around.

His details are as follows:
Wilfred David Townley

I believed he joined the shropshire light infantry, then moved to the RASC before joining the commandos on thier formation. I've been advised that he served in no 3 troop no 5 commando.

Any help or guidance you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Lee Townley

Posted for Lee by John M
Hi Stephen
Not to worry..........the next meeting will be on Tuesday 11th September @13.00Hrs same venue.
Regards
johnM
Hi Everyone

I will be seeing (I Hope) Theo Palmer from 40 RM Commando on tuesday next week.......he is a member of the Lincoln Branch CVA.

Would anyone like me to ask him any specific questions?

Let me know............it will be no problem.
Regards
JohnM
Hi Everyone

Here is a quote from the book 'Dieppe 1942' by Ronald Atkin published Macmillan 1980.

''The Marines, a group of 17 officers and 352 other ranks of No 40 Commando (RM) ,under the Command of Lt-Col Joseph Tiger Phillips, had made an early bid to carry out their original assignment by sailing into Dieppe harbour in the Chasseurs led by the gunboat 'Locust' but were driven back.......................................................................................
..............................................................................................

'failure at Puys had reached Roberts,so he ordered the Royal Marine Commando to make good this set back by landing at 'White Beach'...
.....................'It was not long before I realised that this landing was going to be the sea version of the charge of the light brigade...........etc

Hope this helps out a bit.

The book can be obtained online at S/H book sellers.

Best regards
JohnM
Hi All

According to my research 40 Cdo were held as a floating reserve at Dieppe and were used in desperation when things had gone badly wrong.
They suffered heavy losses at Dieppe. It was their baptism of fire.

Was 'A' Commando a code name for them?

Best regards
John M

Great Idea Admin

I'll look forward to reading the younger vets stories as well as the more senior members of our gallant band.

The site is really starting to take shape as a place for genuine info on all things Commando.

Keep up the good work.
John M
Hello

Some of the facts seem to be a bit incorrect in this story.

Recruitment was never from prisons and I don't think there was a 6 Brigade.

Perhaps facts have been lost with the passage of time.

John M
Hi,

I'm attempting to find information regarding my fathers involvement in WWII. Unfortunately my father has now passed away.
I have his demob suitcase and on it is stamped,

W.Jones
5. Trp. 1.5Cdo.

His date of birth was 3/11/23.

Many thanks,
Stephen Jones
Posted for Stephen by John M
Knife and wreath
Great photos Stephen

I was very pleased to meet you although briefly on Sunday maybe we can meet for a longer chat in FW in November.

I am sure there will be a full account of the day and the making of the memorial posted shortly.

But briefly as every one can see the centrepiece is a 4ft solid stainless steel FS fighting knife. The dimensions taken from a genuine 1st pattern and then scaled up four times to within 1/1000 of an inch. There are 104 hand cut and shaped copper laurel leaves in the wreath. As you know copper weathers to a green colour so as the years pass the wreath will become a green wreath . An evolving 'living' tribute.

In the flesh it is awsome to look at!!

If you couldn't get on Sunday it will make a very nice day trip for the family to see it.

Best regards
John M
Hi Everyone

I have had an idea for some time and on further talking to Ron (Hockamlain) it seems he has had similar thoughts.

Could we create a photo archive somewhere? There must be loads of photos out there with families friends etc appertaining to the Commandos WW2 and recent. Many of these photos have not only the close relatives family member in them but also their comrades /oppos /Pals etc.

Your dad /grandfather or best mate may be in the photo and believe me it is a revelation to see your dad /grandfather etc looming out from times past.

It is a resource that we cannot afford to lose.

Maybe we could create a photo archive on this site where photos could be uploaded from relatives with as much info as possible. We could even list them in units No 1 No 2 Cdo etc so that researchers could access them feely and quickly.

How many photos have been condemned to the dustbin or shredder?

OK what do you think guys?

Best regards

JohnM
And the sun shined upon a wonderful day.

It was an historic day on Sunday and we now have in place a beautifuly simple but very striking memorial that will be a talking and pilgrimage point for many generations.

The whole day was truly memorable. Commandos young and old expressed to me their pride and pleasure at the nature of the monument.

And judging by the photos that were taken of singles and groups everybody was proud to be assosiated with it.

Geoff Murray and others had worked tirelessly to bring the event to fruition and they all deserve our applause.

As he flies back to AFG I say stay safe Geoff and we look forward to your speedy return.

Best regards
JohnM
Hello Steph

This may be of some help.

In the past I have viewd the archives of the National Army Museum in Chelsea Barracks in the UK.
I remember the No 4 Cdo archive in their posession was very thourough with list of names and various other bits of info.
I remember also that there was a D-Day map of Lord Lovats there.

Maybe Sydney Smallman will be listed in his troop there.

You have to get a readers ticket.........it's not a problem they are very helpful.

When I viewed the Archive I found my fathers signature on the back of his troop photo No 4 troop No1 Cdo.

It's worth a go anyway. Best of Luck
Regards
JohnM

Forum Index » Profile for John M » Messages posted by John M
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger