commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Nigel W
Forum Index » Profile for Nigel W » Messages posted by Nigel W
Thanks Guy,

Fantastic news, we will now have to do the service records search of all 3 branches.

Cheers,

Nigel
Thanks Pete,

Thought we needed more info to apply for Service Records, so armed with your suggestion we will give it a go.

Photos of Beret & badge attached.
Vic was born on 23 May 1922.

At age 14 he joined the Merchant Navy and served at Dunkirk.

At age 18 he joined the RAF, but was not eligible for air crew, so a year later he joined the Royal Marines and became a Commando.

He is the Uncle of a close friend and I am the proud custodian of his Medals, Beret & F/S Dagger. He was awarded the 1939-45 Star, Atlantic Star, Africa Star (North Africa 1942-43 Clasp), Italy Star, Defence Medal & War Medal 1939-45. He was subsequently awarded the Dunkirk Medal (Medaille Dunkerque 1940) & European Combatants Cross (Croix du Combattant de l'Europe).

I couldn't locate his Merchant Navy service number, but did find his RAF Number #1382095. Unfortunately his Wife couldn't locate his last Paybook, so do not have his RM service number and, accordingly, have tried unsuccessfully to find out what Commando Unit he served in, despite checking this websites roll lists.

If anyone could shine some light on "Uncle Vic", that would be wonderful, thank you.

Once I have figured out how to resize some old 'photos of photos' I will attach them.

Forum Index » Profile for Nigel W » Messages posted by Nigel W
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger