commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Lamond10
Forum Index » Profile for Lamond10 » Messages posted by Lamond10
Many thanks Pete - excellent write up!

Andy
Thanks Pete - have emailed! Best wishes
Andy
Hi Pete

Many thanks for this indeed and apologies for the delay in replying. I visited the archives this week and managed to get a few copies of both the staffs yeomanry and 52me commando war diaries referencing Lieutenant RB Jones. David Smiley was in the same company as Jones according to the war diary.

If you could drop me a PM I?ll send over the copies I have.

Best wishes
Hello,

I confess that I've recently joined this forum in the hope forum members may be able to assist me in my research - I'm starting from a very low base of knowledge on the ME Commandos/Layforce!

I recently acquired a territorial efficiency medal (with 1939 and Africa Stars) to Lieut R B Jones, Staffordshire Yeomanry.

From the Army list and War Diary I believe this is Richard Babington Jones, Staffordshire Yeomanry (No 124667).

Interestingly the write up that came with the medal stated he was captured and prisoner of war on 2 June 1941 (at that time the Staffs Yeomanry were not in action so this posed an interesting question of what he was doing).

Looking at the Staffordshire Yeomanry War Diary it appears he was posted to 52 Middle East Commando in early 1941 and was serving with them (or Layforce?) when he was captured on 2nd June 1941. The 1939-45 casualty records held on Find My Past list him as POW Crete 2 June 1941 Staffordshire Yeomanry (Royal Armoured Corps) - but at that time the Staffs Yeomanry were relatively inactive in Palestine I believe.

I would be extremely grateful for any information on his service with 52 Middle East Commando (indeed even just confirmation he served with them at Crete would be of great interest).

Many thanks in advance.

Andy

Forum Index » Profile for Lamond10 » Messages posted by Lamond10
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger