commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Hut 8
Forum Index » Profile for Hut 8 » Messages posted by Hut 8
Stephen Donnison wrote:In the book Fred Musson No5 Commando recalls how he did his training at Loch Fyne and Lochailort. Is there anything there worth visiting now ? he also says No5 were issued with Balmoral bonnets to wear (thats what my dad is wearing!) and the cross dagger patches for the arm
Other names from No5 include Geoff Riley,Matt Bold , Denis Crowden ,Frank Atter, Fred Palmer, Freddie Hoyle John Wall, ,Titch Shoreman , Sam HartleyAnyone know of them now?
Two officers from no5 mentioned Lt Noble and Chips Heron i know of

I realise this thread is very ancient and came across it by accident.

I can fill in some info. on Frank Atter. After the war Frank resided in Wolverton (Bucks) where he worked in the railway works. He was solid working class and served as town councillor (Labour) for very many years and when the area was swallowed by Milton Keynes, he did a term as Mayor of the "city". He was that relative rarity: a trustworthy person in local politics who was respected by everyone on each side of the political divide and he always treated towns folk problems with equal effort: if anyone reported an issue, typically he'd walk around in his own time to see and discuss it.

Frank was always exceptionally calm and exuded authority without resorting to fear. As kids, we had no idea of his war heroics which I guess shaped his character. He married and had 2 sons (1 of whom was my closest friend). Sadly Frank passed away too soon into retirement: 1991 at the age of 68 or 69 I think. For me, he was quintessentially English from an age we have largely lost: someone who got serious stuff done without fuss or ego.

Forum Index » Profile for Hut 8 » Messages posted by Hut 8
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger