commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: MLY15
Forum Index » Profile for MLY15 » Messages posted by MLY15
Thanks Pete. Can email you his name if that is ok with you?
Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I just received my Grandfather's WW2 service records (finally) and am starting to decode them so to speak! I was always told he was a Commando, and being interested in military history and a good mystery also, I decided in his memory I wanted to know more.

From starting to decode, he was "lent" to HMS Queen Emma and was part of No. 4 Commando and took part in Operation Claymore and the raid on Lofoten in March 1941.

However, despite some extensive deep googling and research, I am struggling to find info on other various points that might be able to help fill in some further blanks. He was mainly listed on various ship/shore establishments, some for only a few days at a time, which I am guessing were specific missions - however might anyone know how to find out any of those further details specific to dates? There are quite a few entries listed as "lent."

Might anyone also know:

1. What the Marshal of Bermuda was? It is listed as the ship/shore establishment, but I can find no details on it
2. Fraser Battery - again can find no details
3. Wembury - I know this was a heavy artillery site but can't find out much more
4. HMS Mylodon & HMS Copra - shore bases but anyone with an extra info?
5. I keep seeing LCT 804 under two entries for him being lent to HMS Mylodon - any idea what this means?

Also, if he was originally No. 4 Commando would he have stayed attached to No. 4 Commando for the duration?

Have a million other questions, but these seem like a good starting point for me to fill in some blanks at least.

If anyone is able to help at all, would be hugely grateful!

Thanks so much. M

Forum Index » Profile for MLY15 » Messages posted by MLY15
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger