commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: carlj90
Forum Index » Profile for carlj90 » Messages posted by carlj90
Hello All!

Thank you for your help. I followed a link Pete sent above to an archive and noticed my grandfather in SSD1. I checked the photos I have of my grandfather during his time in the war and I have the exact same photo in my files as one of the photos in the archive. I?ve attached it.

I believe I may have some additional photos of the people in SSD1 and the training school in Burma if anyone is interested?

Kind Regards

Carl
I forgot to mention his service book confirms he completed training at the Bush Warfare school in Burma
Hello Alan that is very helpful, thank you!

We do actually have a plane ticket for him from July 1942 from Kunming to Assam, which would place him in the Yunnan province where mission 204 took place.

I?m sure everything will become much clearer once I get his service record.

I am now trying to find Royal Engineer groups to try and help decipher his tracer card from when he moved to RE in 1943.

Kind Regards

Carl
See service book attached
Hello Alan,

Thank you for finding this.

From looking at his service book I believe he was transferred from the Special Service to the Royal Engineers in 1943.

Would his service number have changed when moving from Special Service to Royal Engineers?

Kind Regards

Carl
Hoping these pictures may help.
Hello,

I am trying to find out which regiment my grandfather was in.

Growing up I was always told he was a commando. I have recently received his service book and this is the information I have:

Name: Byron Jenkins
Service number: 6468043
Service book confirms completed commando training in Scotland in 1940 and was A1 fitness

He was stationed in the following places:

England 5/3/40 ? 31/1/41
Egypt 1/2/41 ? September 41
Burma September 41-May 42
China May 42 ? August 42
India September 42 ? November 44

He was awarded the following medals:

Africa Star
Burma Star (Pacific Clasp)
Defence Medal
War Medal (1939-1945)
1939 ? 45 STAR

I am waiting for his death certificate so I can apply for his service record

Is there anyway of finding what regiment he served in? I do have photos of him during the war

Forum Index » Profile for carlj90 » Messages posted by carlj90
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger