commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Sue Atkinson
Forum Index » Profile for Sue Atkinson » Messages posted by Sue Atkinson
Thanks so much, Nick! Only just checked my e-mails, that's fantastic. My own e-mails aren't working at the moment, so I could only read and not reply from my yahoo address. I don't spend much time on the computer. Sorry aboyut the mother/daughter confusion, I am a bit scattered...But this is great, and I can see how it happened. My mother and daughter will be thrilled to bits. Thanks again!
I quite like the sound of "Woolly Bear". I'm in the process of sorting out the forms, got a bit more information from my mother, which was that Dad was first in the Royal Navy, then moved over to the Naval Commandos, then for some reason - she says he didn't want to be posted to the far , but my daughter said he told her there were too many naval men - he joined the Sherwood Foresters. Apparently when the ship went down they were stuck in North Africa for three weeks waiting for transport to Sicily, and then he was on these small boats - would they be rowing boats? - dropping soldiers behind enemy lines, then finding them and taking them back...we'll see what his records come up with - I think I'll have to fill out two lots, navy and army, but haven't got round to further than getting my mother's signature.
Dear Nick - many thanks for your help - I've printed off the form and will get it filled in. My mother is still living, and is immediate next of kin, so I'll get her to sign it this week, and send it off. I hope it will get a bit more information! Best wishes, Sue
Well, I have photos of him in both Army and Navy uniform, which always confused me as I couldn't understand how he could be in wore both! He was originally, I believe, in the Sherwood Foresters, which is a Nottingham regiment so that would make sense (we're from Nottingham). With regard to what kind of boats, I have no idea. He just said 'small boats' I think. His brother and sister are both now deceased, so no help there, I'm afraid.
Dear Nick, thank you so much for having a go! I was just starting to answer this, and lost it, so you might get two answers here. That was the only information I had, unfortunately; the spelling of the ship's name is phonetic, we were just guessing, he certainly said it was a Danish ship, and I wonder if it was commandeered by the allies and re-named? he said it was bombed, and he lost his dagger and his pistol. I'd also like to know what Unit Dad was in, is there any way I can find this out? For example by typing his name into some search engine? I have no idea how to go about all this. But many thanks, anyway! best wishes.
My late father, George Watts, was, I believe, on a ship that sank off North Africa on the way to Sicily. He told us it was a Danish Troop ship, and gave us a name which was something like the 'Bansentoldegun'. However, we have no idea of the spelling, or any further information. I know he was on small boats landing men on the coast of Italy and collecting them afterwards. He never talked about the war, and my daughter got the above information from him shortly before he died in 2006. I wonder if anyone could shed any light on this, as I'm very keen to find out what I can about this period of history and his part in it. I have no idea what unit he was in, or anything about this time. Many thanks for any help. [

Forum Index » Profile for Sue Atkinson » Messages posted by Sue Atkinson
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger