commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: PGB99
Forum Index » Profile for PGB99 » Messages posted by PGB99
I have finally come across my Father's memoirs that has been floating around the family.

He wrote this whilst in Oflag 9A, after being wounded and captured at Arnhem.

It is not clear if he wrote about Dieppe in the 3rd person.

"August 19th ,1942 - Commando raid with No4 and large Canadian force on DIEPPE Heavy losses of our commando, t?? 'party' with E Boats just of French coast. About half of Commando only returned to England (Newhaven) Maj Young D.S.O."

Further confusion is that, listed in his 'Officer?s Record of Service' booklet, it clearly shows Dieppe as one of his activities.

No 3 Commando - June '40 to Sept '44
Lofoton Islands
Vaagso
St Nazaire
Dieppe
Nornandy
Arnhem

So, I am still confused, could he have gone with No 4 Commando?

Paul
Thanks for the quick update Noel.

So, Father was not on Yellow 2. It was along time ago (1960's) he finally started talking about his WW2 exploits.

I never had much detail about Dieppe. It maybe that he either discussed it in terms of 3 Commando, or he may have been on one of the craft that had to turn back.

Also, as he was wounded at St Nazaire in the March, I wonder if he was even fit by August to go to Dieppe.

In any case, thanks for the update on Yellow II. All those men were special, those 20 men were something extra special.

Regards, Paul
Not sure if anyone has a copy of the book mentioned. As I understand it there were only 20 men landed on yellow 2.

I would be keen to see the list, as my late father was in 3 Commando, and I believe he was at Dieppe, as those who landed at Yellow 1 were captured or killed, I am thinking, maybe, he was one of those on Yellow 2

Paul Butler, son of Eric Henry Dunn Butler
Thanks Pete.

BTW, have you ever come across the document referenced below? Strangely, I found it in an Australian Navy archive site! Was there any Australian connection to Op Chariot?

https://www.navy.gov.au/media-room/publications/wwii-naval-staff-histories

Scroll down to find "Battle Summary 12: The Attack on St Nazaire - 28 March 1942"

There is a fascinating collection there, I will trawl through some of the others for hidden "gems"

Tried to attach it, but too big. You should be able to see and download it on the link above.

Paul
Hi Pete,

Born - Burton-on-Trent - 17th Aug 1918
Died - Portsmouth - 10th Nov 1994

Some is a little lost in time.

I know at the beginning of the war, he was in Palestine with the N Staffs - As a Private (1940)

The next I know about, only what he told me was the Raid to the Lofoten Islands (Operation Claymore - 1941)

March 42 - St Nazaire (ML307) - Staff Sergeant

August 42 - Dieppe - don't know much details other than what I find online, it didn't go well.

42 -44 is a blank from my memory

November 43 - Commissioned

June 44 - Gliders at D-Day, again, not sure which landing site, but he always mentioned Pegasus Bridge, but by now he was aligned with the Royal Worcestershire Regiment

Sept 44 - Arnhem - Taken prisoner and sat the duration out on Oflag 9A/H in Spangenberg Castle, Germany - Now a beautiful boutique hotel!

May 45 - Released and I assume shortly after was de-mobbed

After his career in the RAF, he retired to the Isle of Wight

Hope this helps, Paul

Hi Pete,

Yes, you are right, after the War, he tried civilian life for a few years, but I think he missed the comradeship, so went into the RAF. He spent over 15 years there in the RAF Regiment (his view was they were the RAF version of the Army!). He was Fire Officer on RAF bases from Northern Ireland, Singapore, Germany and the UK. Interestingly, after the war he went through, he always said the best posting was Germany. His view was he fought the Nazis, not the German people.

He finally retired as Flight Lieutenant around 1969

in retirement, he got his "Skippers Ticket" and did a lot of large yacht deliveries, his version of the Navy :-)

Paul

Hi, I have only just found this site, and it is a mine of information.

My late Father took part in the raid on St Nazaire (as well as Dieppe, Normandy and Arnhem).

He is listed in the role here - Eric Henry Dun-Butler, Staff Sgt and later Second Lieutenant. Wounded and returned on ML307

I have added a few attachments that might be of interest. One is a picture of him at Woodhall Spa July 44, I am guessing after the Pegasus Bridge landing and getting ready for Arnhem and second is a photo from a lot of photos in a suitcase, appears to be Commando Training, but I don't know where and when.

It would be nice to have his picture added to his profile on the role.

I can supply a lot more info about his exploits.

BTW, I am planning a round trip next year to Normandy, Arnhem, Spangenberg (where he was held captive after Arnhem), and St Nazaire. Also this summer, I am planning to visit the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge.

Paul Butler

Forum Index » Profile for PGB99 » Messages posted by PGB99
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger