commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: John M
Forum Index » Profile for John M » Messages posted by John M
Hello UKC Nic and all

Regarding the credibility of information. I have found during the course of what I regard as my own thorough research into the Commandos that many facts can be contradicted in print depending from where the author has taken their source.

I have spoken to many Veterans of the same action and received as many differing accounts of it. A nucleus of truth but distorted by the individuals perception of it.

The Commandos by their nature were covert and and the written record I find reflects this.

So research in my case is always driven by caution and an open mind.

Sharing of information is most important and is a main reason for this forums existence.

It is difficult to regard anybody as a true expert on any or all aspects of the Commandos.

Some individuals can have more knowledge, which stems from their position within the organization, but even then they can only call on their personnel experience and not on things as a whole.

I think Brigadier Ken Trevor sums up nicely the point I am trying to make in his foreword to the book by Tag Barnes MM 'Commando Diary'

Quote:

The lack of information on the 'reason why' for changes in plans,orders and times , shows the frustration suffered by a junior rank in particular.

Every effort should be made to keep things running smoothly,but in war,as indeed also in peacetime,things do go wrong. In wartime it can be partly blamed on the need for security. It is easier for the more senior ranks as they have more chance of being in the know.

So all information can only be posted in 'good faith' and must be accepted as such by all who read and heed it.

But that for me is the interesting bit of all of this . The uncovering of that little nugget that makes it all fit together.

So all info is welcome and a correction or query should not be taken as a criticism just someone trying to hone that fine elusive point of the truth.

Best regards and happy hunting

John M
Hello Everyone

Please follow the link below to read Brig. Ken Trevors memoirs of the battle of Hill 170, Kangaw Burma.

This was made available by his son Simon.

http://www.burmastar.org.uk/trevor.htm

I also have Brig. Peter Youngs, Ken Trevors second in Command, narrative which I am trying to prepare for uploading.

Regards to all

John M
Hello Colin

I have read your post with much interest and have to say I agree with you.

The simplest form of medal would have been a 'Commando Star' along the lines of the 1939-45 Star ,Burma Star etc.

All my dad got was a 'Commando Certificate of Service' and I am sure these were produced independently by the Commando organizations.

I think the general opposition of the other 'Commands' to the Commandos put payed to an official medal.

I think I can detect the germ of a worthy cause here :) .........

Regards

John M
Stephen

You have expressed a huge reservoir of feeling very succinctly.

I for one subscribe wholeheartedly with your sentiments and statements above.

Thank you.

Regards
John M
Nice one Geoff :D

I am at present corresponding with an Old Comrade from No 12 Commando Sgt.John Huntington and he is sending me over the course of weeks his memoirs all typed on an old fashioned type writer. I have upward of 50 pages at present both sides typed. I can tell you it is fantastic and still continuing to arrive.

I am editing it as it arrives.

He has agreed for this to go onto the website. It may be several weeks yet but look out for it ...........it's well worth a read.

So anybody else out there ........as Geoff says ......get writing we need your memories.

Best regards

JohnM
Hi Everyone

I am pleased to make available the narrative:

History of 9 Commando Overseas 11 Sept 43- 8 May 45 on site now;

Go to 9 Commando history page and access the narrative from there.

Thanks very much to John Batten No 9 Commando for making this available to us.

Also Johnie Moore for his help in supplying via email for John.

Regards
John M
Hi All

New albums have been added in the gallery section for the current serving Commandos to add their photos.

Looking forward to them guys.

Regards
John M
Hi All

In a nut shell :D

Also to the parent Regt. dismay they still paid the individual soldier although they were attached to the Cdo units.

They always remained on the paid strength of the original Regt.

This did not go down very well with the parent Regt. CO's.

Hence the animosity sometimes met for the Commando formations.

Regards
John M

Hi Nic

Yes no probs..........thankyou for your constant vigilance :D

Best regards
John M

Our good Captain (GM) is working on the Also Served Rolls as we speak...

together we'll crack it........United We ......and all that )

Regs

John M
Thanks Guys

Yes Pte.Peach is in our amendments to be added shortly. Thought we would get the bulk up first. Also No 9 is on it's way.

Next up is TAS Rolls............fingers crossed.

Regards
John & Dan
Hello Everyone

New 'Rolls of Honour 'are now on site ............this makes :

No's 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10IA,11,12,and 30 now available to all!!

To recap ......call up the unit history from right hand side and then click on remembrance button that appears below to access Roll of Honour.

Best regards and thanks again Bob & Janet

John M
Hello Bob

First off let me reiterate what a great pleasure and indeed honour it was to introduce myself and my family to you and Janet in Scotland last year.

As you rightly say the Spean Bridge memorial is a very fitting, dignified and indeed awe inspiring tribute to you and your kind. I purposely say 'you and your kind' as you always modestly brush aside your own contribution to the now legendary 'Commandos'.

I think I can speak for most sons, daughters, grandchildren and family members who's relative be it father ,grandfather or uncle etc. was a commando soldier in that we can only look back into the history books and feel nothing but pride at the feats of bravery ,courage and heroism that our relations performed at a time of hopelessness and dire need.

The call went out and folk of your ilk answered it with unswerving loyalty and commitment for the cause of freedom and justice.

Our generation owe our todays to your yesterdays and I thank you for that.

One other thing. You will always have another memorial, a living memorial
of your family of friends who will carry your gallant deeds and your memory with us and on to our families, our sons and daughters.

Be assured as with you in the 1940's we will make sure the candle will burn on.

With my gratitude and respect

John M

Hi Nick

Congrats on the good result with the records office. I got the same sort of info from them with my dads records. It is encouraging for other people to know it is worth trying.

My dad was also first posted to No12 Cdo and then No 1 Cdo.

No 12 are a difficult bunch to pin down............I have researched them now for 4-5 yrs so if I can help in any way just shout. I also have contact with a couple of former N0 12 guys.

All the best of luck

John M
Hi Nic

No probs ......well done on your result.

Regards
John M
Hello Barbara

yes we are updating the Rolls very shortly and Enoch Sheard will be duly added.

Best regards

John M

Forum Index » Profile for John M » Messages posted by John M
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger