commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Graeme
Forum Index » Profile for Graeme » Messages posted by Graeme
Nick,

Many thanks for this.

Having started to re-read Raymond Mitchell's book am sure that Iwas wrong with my dating for the photo of Jim with the group including Lt Col Paine. The RSM was R Keeble who is mentioned in the book as being the RSM of the founding group.

Regards,

Graeme
Pete/Nick,

Many thanks for your responses.

I have got and read Raymond Mitchell's "They did what was asked of them" and found it very interesting. Will try and pin down Jim's Troop.

The reason I believe the picture with Lt Col Paine was taken at Lympstone in 1945/6? is because he did 2 spells there but the Adjutant was John Taplin who was Adjutant at the time of D-Day and assumed command when the CO was wounded on D+1. (See aforementioned book Command Structures for various battles)

Kind regards,

Graeme
Nick,

Thanks for your comments. Jim may at some time have been a storeman but definitely fought. He was wounded circa July 44 but returned for the offensive into Germany.

Have attached three photo's which may give some clues.
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the response. Jim was my father-in-law. Have got some photo's including one which was presumably taken at Lympstone not long before he was demobbed as Lt Col SGB Paine was OC and I don't think he took command until 45. Will add the photo's when I have had a chance to scan them.

Ken Dewey was Jim's best friend in civvy street and he was quite active in British Legion Acton Branch.

Regards,

Graeme
Does anyone remember Jim or his friend Cpl Ken Dewey. Trying to find some deatils of his service but records office state that he was a storeman!!

Do know he was part of landings at Sicily, Salerno and D-Day.

Forum Index » Profile for Graeme » Messages posted by Graeme
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger