commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: richardb14
Forum Index » Profile for richardb14 » Messages posted by richardb14
Thank you Pete, :-)

I do have to say I owe a debt of gratitute to you all, I have found out so much just using this site as a reference tool, I will update as soon as I have some pictures. many thanks for the links and I am sure to try them all, i think if it is possible we will try and see if it is possible as you say to obtain a replica medal.

Richard.
Hi Nic,

yes My grandparents settled in Hawick, my Grandmother was from there. My grandfather always loved living down in the borders, he lived the majority of his life there and they had 8 children together :D
I should be getting my hands on some photos, there is one or two of him in uniform, been phoning round all the relatives

cant thank you guys enough for the help
thanks guys, you have been a tremendous help 8)

on a side note, My Gran unfortunately had to sell of the medals etc., included was a nazi flag and a german officers pistol.

After a bit of research I have discovered my grandfather served here as well, he was awarded the M.M for bravery on the 2/3 Feb 1944. He took seven German prisoners and rescued five Commandos whilst himself being unarmed. He was recommended for this award by LT.Colonel R.J.F Tod
on a side note NIC, I have found another post you have made giving this link:

http://www.whobegatwhom.co.uk/9commandooverseas.pdf

near the end of the page at the honours part I can see an A.Scott was awarded the M.M

I know he definately recieved an award for bravery. what an excellent resource tool this site is
thanks!

there is a good chance that is him, i know he was around 5ft 3 and slim built, I have just been informed that he was a bantam weight.

excellent find!!
Thanks for the resonse Nick, yes i understand the information is a bit scarce, Once i obtain his service records i should hopefully find out more. I think I would need a bit of help to decipher them! :)
First post :)

Hi to everyone, I am currently tracing my family tree, My Grandad served with the Commandos during the second world war, unfortunately he passed away just over 15 years ago so any information i have is vague.

He never spoke much about the war but some snippets came through at times, I know he was well travelled and was a champion boxer. He once told a story of how he captured a small squadron of Germans on his own.

maybe someone would remember him, he was raised in Musselburgh East Lothian and married on 1st June 1940, i could be wrong here but I am informed when he married he had just joined the Commandos as a private, the date seems a bit too early for me but could be wrong.

any information would be appreciated.

I have also carried out a search on here on how to research my grandad, and I will be sending off for his records, that is if I can trace him

Forum Index » Profile for richardb14 » Messages posted by richardb14
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger