commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: AB64
Forum Index » Profile for AB64 » Messages posted by AB64
Hi,
Thanks for the reply so probably a battle indoctrination course run by Commando staff to help other units gain experience and pass on techniques - from a collector point of view I'd rather Gdsm Taylor was a Commando (even if just for a short time) but as a twice wounded Guardsman he has his own interesting story (even if it only nudges the world of Combined Ops in passing) which hopefully I'll be able to flesh out in time.

Thanks again

Alistair
Trying to find out more about George Taylor, he joined the Grenadiers 4/7/40 and completed Commando training at Achnacarry in September 42 - I'm guessing as part of the intake from 24th Guards Brigade - was this a course to become a Commando or to train non Commandos with some of the techniques? I was assuming to become a Commando but just checking as at some point fairly soon after the course he returned to the 5th Grenadier Guards being wounded with them in Tunisia 5/5/43 and again in Italy 4/2/44. Any thoughts or observations most welcome, thanks in advance. Alistair
Blanking out or cutting out of the parents nationality and the soldiers place of birth wasn't related to raids or anything it was an army wide order from 1942 - Army Council Instruction 1770 - this instructed that these details were no longer to be entered and going forward if a soldier was going overseas and had these details already filled in they were to be "obliterated". I have seen it suggested that this was due to the increasing number of Germans, Austrians, French etc serving in British units, not sure if thats correct or it was just considered unnecessary to include it.

Alistair
The book has been issued as a replacement in 1944 so there aren't many earlier entries and those there are don't have the normal full signatures - the Commando and Parachute ones have JC next to them but I couldn't see a match
Sorry Pete, I've thrown a dodgy date in, should have been November 1942 rather than May - I've amended my original question. From the link you posted it looks like at that point he would be either A (40) or B (41) Commando. Thanks for the reply and sorry again for misposting the date
I have his Service Book which lists the course, but it doesn't reveal much else to give a steer on where he was and when. I'm keen to know his story but its not something urgent so as I say I think I'll wait til the records are open access, from some of the recent talk the MOD and National Archives seem to be starting down the road of transferring data, I'm not expecting it any time soon but it is on the horizon. Thanks again

Alistair
Thanks for having a look, I can't see any other details that may give a clue, I'll probably just have to wait til the WW2 records are released in the future. Thanks again
Looking for info on John Martin, 9/5/42 he is signed off as having attended the Special Training Centre Lochailort so I'm thinking he was a Commando (I'm not sure if other interesting characters also passed through) any extra info most welcome
Looking for any info on John Fairclough who in November 42 passed the Commando course then in May 43 passed a Parachute course (someone I know had a look at the Parachute course records but couldn't see him unfortunately) and thoughts on which Commando unit he was with or any action he may have seen? thanks in advance

(edited to correct Date)

Forum Index » Profile for AB64 » Messages posted by AB64
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger