commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: PhilipCSwift
Forum Index » Profile for PhilipCSwift » Messages posted by PhilipCSwift
Hi Nick

Thanks for the info'. Now you mention it my grandad did mention Shanklin Chine and I went there a few years ago. I'll drove over tomorrow and have a look at the plaques. I did not know they were billeted at Upper Chine School; interesting. Can I ask if you know much about these types of tragic accident? I think I am right in saying my Grandad lost his best mate when a mortar round delayed going off. I can't believe he almost looked in the barrel, but that what I seem to remember my mum telling me; but who knows? Head off job. Shame it could not of been a hosepipe instead! The thing when you get tempted to look into the end, then your mate turns the tap on and gets you right in the face.

Much appreciated

P

I had no idea the IoW was used for Commando training. I live there now and my Grandad is buried one village down from Shorwell. (Capt. Cyril Charles William Swift).
PS: Pankhurst should be changed to 'Parkhurst'. As in the HMP site, which was an old barracks site.
Pete wrote:Hello Philip

Unlike today not all Royal Marines were Commandos in WW2. The only official documentation I have found records your Grandfather served at the dates shown in the Royal Marines but not Royal Marine Commandos. The attached documents are from the Navy Lists and are available online at the National Library of Scotland.

Thank you Pete. Your help is much appreciated.
Last two!
last few!
and more...
More scans of original photos-enhanced and zoomed in
I will upload some other photos of his that I have scanned. Probably from India posting.
He told me quite a bit when he was suffering in retirement but I was so young I could not really get an insight however I remember it all. He was my hero and acted as a dad. Like many he would not talk, just little bits when he went outside for a cigarette.

Forum Index » Profile for PhilipCSwift » Messages posted by PhilipCSwift
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger