commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Jacky Brown
Forum Index » Profile for Jacky Brown » Messages posted by Jacky Brown
Hi. If that's a Birth record then yes. But he would only have been 18 in October 1945 and I know that's not the year of birth he was using when he joined the army. He didn't sort things out regarding his real date of birth until some years later so that his company and govt pensions were correct.
Thank you for assistance.
Kind regards
Hi. Apologies but I no longer have the photograph although he was wearing a beret type hat rather than a cap . He did have an old fabric badge with a number on it but like the photograph, the badge was lost during a family member's house move.

I am sure he was initially in the Army. Could he then have been transferred to the Marine Commando? All I know about the para training was that those who were reluctant to jump were assisted out of the airplane door with the trainers boot in their back....he remembered receiving that assistance himself :)). I have so little info.

I'm really sorry I can't offer more help. Thank you for taking the time to look at this for me.
I am trying to track down any WW2 record for my Father, James Wilson Byrne. Born Glasgow 3rd October. I cannot provide a year of birth for the army records as I don't know what he used. Due to difficult family circumstances, as a child he forged his birth certificate to appear older so he could get an apprenticeship. When he was called up he was under conscription age but was too scared to come clean and just went along.

He was conscripted into the Army but then transferred to the Army Commano. At some point he was in Deal but did his commando training at Achnacarry. I know that he also did his para training and there was a photograph of him with the parachute badge on his uniform. He was in Burma and also guarded Japanese prisoners accused of war crimes who were awaiting trial in Hong Kong. He did not return to England until 1946 or 1947, arriving in Liverpool. As far as I am aware he was a Private soldier.

I remember him telling me that his old Commando unit did service in the Falklands during the Falklands conflict but other than that I have no information. Would be nice if I could find out anything that would help me apply for his Burma Star etc as I'd like those for my son. Any help would be received gratefully.

Forum Index » Profile for Jacky Brown » Messages posted by Jacky Brown
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger