commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Paul Blumsom
Forum Index » Profile for Paul Blumsom » Messages posted by Paul Blumsom
I have already posted this on one of the other forums but this appears to be the more appropriate forum for this request for information on colleagues that served with my father (Corporal George Richard Blumsom) with 40 RM Commando.

I am trying to identify two marines who were pals of my father known only to me by their nicknames 'Taff' and 'Snaky'.

Working on the obvious assumption that Taff is Welsh, my research reveals that one Lance Corporal PLY/X 100676 Frank Reginald Hastings, 40 RM Commando, was killed in action on the 18/01/1944, the same day that my father was wounded in action. Lance Corporal Hastings hailed from Milford Haven in Pembrokeshire, Wales and is a strong candidate for the man who I believe was my father's best friend in the unit. These events took place in Italy following the crossing of the Garigliano and the attack on the German positions there.

I am reaching out to other members of the forum in an effort to establish which Troop Lance Corporal Hastings was posted to, if this proves to be 'A' Troop it would strengthen my theory that he is the marine that died in the presence of my father. If this is true, I hope that it might be of some comfort to Lance Corporal Hastings' family that his best friend was with him when he passed away.
Hello Pete

I do have a photograph of my father but have no scanner. However, I will use our local library's scanning facilities when they finally open and provide it then.

Further to my original post, my father passed away in 2001 but I remember him speaking fondly of 'Pops' Manners, who seems to have been widely respected by his men. He also used to speak of his colleagues but I can only remember them referred to by their nicknames. In particular he spoke of one of his best chums nicknamed 'Taff' or 'Taffy' who was killed in action. I believe my father was with him when he died and I would love to find out if any other members of the forum might be able to help in identifying him. He also spoke of another marine nicknamed 'Snaky' who he served with. Any information would be gratefully received.
I would like to add details of my father's (CH/X 3155 G R Blumsom) service with 'A' and subsequently 40 RM Commando during the Second World War. These details have been lifted directly from his Certificate of Service.
11/07/1939 Enlisted in the Royal Marines at London aged 17 years
20/02/1942 RM Commando
18/01/1944 Wounded in Action (He was left with scars on his left elbow and his right eye)
12/11/1948 - 11/05/1952 Enrolled in the Royal Fleet Reserve
I have documentary evidence that he was posted to 'A' Troop dated Christmas 1943

01/10/1942 Promoted to Lance Corporal
18/06/1943 Promoted to Corporal
04/09/1943 Reverts to Marine
17/09/1943 Promoted to Lance Corporal
01/03/1944 Promoted to Corporal

Incidentally the family name has been misspelt on the nominal roll as Blumson with an 'n' when it should read Blumsom with an 'm'

Forum Index » Profile for Paul Blumsom » Messages posted by Paul Blumsom
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger